lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
dcough@earthlink.net
Not Yet Wild

Default no oil to top end g-16

I opened the valve cover and no oil is present. Is the hose in the back of the motor supposed to carry oil to the top (tappets, etc.)? I recently got a g-16 and a G-9, I think. The G-16 smokes bad. It has 130 psi. The piston looks tight at the top of stroke. Do I need new rings and piston. No marks on piston must mean its not been rebuilt?? These are my first carts but Ive done mechanic work on cars. Any help is appreciated, thanks
dcough@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: no oil to top end g-16

The oil doesn't travel in any hoses, it's all internal. Is there oil in the crankcase? No way for anyone to tell if it needs rebuilt unless we have lots of pics and more data. I usually drain the oil into a cheesecloth and look for metal. That will indicate if a bearing has been eaten up. If a ring cracks you'll know by a compression reading. Lots of things to look at, valvetrain etc. Does either engine make any noises while running, knocking etc? Smoke while running does indicate a problem, and 130 psi sounds a little low, I'm thinking 150 psi? Specs should be in the repair manual.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The manual list minimum compression @ 142 psi. @ 130 psi my G 14 smoked like a crop duster. And with no oil to the top end I wonder if the splash fin damaged on the rod or the passage is blocked ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
dcough@earthlink.net
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys for the info. Looks like something is plugged. I will put new rings and piston and see if smoke continues. Should I go oversize or just begin with new rings and standard piston?
Old 05-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
dcough@earthlink.net
Not Yet Wild

Also, Is the tranny pully that hard to come off the motor? They want like 79.00 for a bolt, which is a puller. Like half the price of my cart, haha
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Got this if it helps...G16 engine parts

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=148069
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #7
dcough@earthlink.net
Not Yet Wild

The motor sounds and runs fine, no knocks etc, It just smokes when oil is up to top on
dipstick marks. It smokes less as oil goes down. No oil to top end. None in airbox. Plug fouls out after a few rounds of golf. I took out motor to see piston and it looks fine. very little play at top. Machinist said piston looks ok, just need rings, or oversize and a sleeve in cylinder. He also said I dont need a head gasket as its the aluminum type. ?? Thoughts?
I think I should have miked the bottom of the cylinder, to see if I need oversize piston.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha