lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
gregm227
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 mostly idles

I've got a 91 g2. Just changed battery and carburetor this spring and it's been running like brand new. Then while taking a spin it just stop running full and just started putt putting. I changed the spark plug and coil pack. I also checked fuel pump and it seems to be working. What next??? When I spray starting fluid in carb it runs for a few seconds. Could pump just not be working full capacity. It squirts out of hose pretty good
gregm227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 mostly idles

Quick question, all of the parts above that you mentioned you have changed....

Did you swap them out with OEM Yamaha parts, or did you get Chinese knock offs from Amazon and eBay?

Most of the time these problems are a result of the cheap Chinese replacement parts.

I would make sure the new carb is a Mikuni, if not, dig out the old one and clean and service it and re-install it. Make sure the new fuel pump is also Mikuni, if not, buy OEM. Same for the coil pack, make sure it is OEM, spark plug, NGK.

Also, check the plastic piece the carb mounts to for any cracks no matter how small, and make sure new Yamaha gaskets are used, any air leak makes these things run like crap.

Also make sure the airbox is sealed 10000% these things do not like too much air.

Let us know what brand parts you put on there and if you checked the intake spacer and ensured your airbox is sealed. Lots of knowledgable people on this forum willing to help out.
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
gregm227
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The pack and plug are right the carb is a k knockoff but ran perfect.. fuel pump is factory and still see.s to work
Old 07-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Have you ever serviced the fuel filter?

Do you still have the factory carb? If so try cleaning it up really good and putting it back on. Check for cracks in the plastic intake that it mounts to. Also, be sure your air box is sealed really well.
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
gregm227
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The bowl was cracked in original and yes the air cleaner is good and box sealed tight. I even started duct taping it last year because it would run better
Old 07-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm227 View Post
The bowl was cracked in original and yes the air cleaner is good and box sealed tight. I even started duct taping it last year because it would run better
My gosh man.....if you're using duct tape to make your golf cart run better....oh man The air intake is obviously not sealing properly bud. I think I'd be trying to fix it the right way.

1. check the fit of the air intake system and replace anything that is cracked, damaged, and not sealing

2. replace the carb with a good factory Yamaha Mikuni carb

3. check and replace any and all rubber fuel and vacuum lines

4. use a factory air box and air filter, the one that came on cart

An engine needs 4 things to run:
Air, Fuel, Compression, Spark

If you have all 4 and it runs crappy, you either have a fuel deliver issue, a spark control issue, or an engine that needs mechanical adjustment or repair.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Slo and J are on point. In addition to that, do you still have the original fuel filter in the tank? I'd bet so. The nipple at the bottom of the tank where the fuel line connects is attached to a screw off type cap. Remove the tank, remove that cap, and there is a big fuel filter on the back side of that cap, attached to it. chances are that filter has disintegrated into a sloppy mess. I'd just cut it out, and use a regular style in-line fuel filter on the hose. Theres a good chance the "gunk" from that filter is clogging the fuel lines and probably in the pump and carb too. you can take the pump apart and clean it out.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha