lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
hbkxham
Not Yet Wild

Default Installing Voltage Reducer

Hi everyone, I just purchase a voltage reducer for my G19. Stupid me went the cheap route and bought a reducer without the wire to connect to my on/off switch. Here is my dilemma. I connected the power source to big post on my solenoid that goes the B+ on the controller however my accessories still have power with the key switch to off. How can this be? I thought when I wired it this way the accessories shouldn’t have power until I turn the key to on. Picture of what I did below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C80FBB1-F373-48F0-9F60-E732E9CE8A0A.jpg (166.5 KB, 0 views)
hbkxham is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Default Re: Installing Voltage Reducer

I believe the 5th wire, which you don’t have, is the one that would have went to your key switch to tell the reducer when to turn on. Since you don’t have the 5th wire, your 12 volt output will always be active.
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
hbkxham
Not Yet Wild

It shouldn’t always be active if I wire it this way correct? I really don’t want to mess with a relay. My other choice would be to add a switch to power the reducer on/off when I want to correct?
Old 10-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
bbbdale
Gone Wild

If you have constant 48v going in to the reducer, you would have constant 12v coming out right?

The only way to cut it off would be with the 5th wire key switch or a on/off toggle somewhere.

I’m not an electrician, just thinking out loud with you.
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

hbkxham, even when that Solenoid is open there is voltage on the Controller B+ terminal since the Alltrax XCT keeps its filter capacitors charged.

That is not a good place to connect the converter power since the pre-charge circuit was not designed to provide that much power.

A relay would be the best option for automatic control with the key switch but you can also just use a regular on/off switch, just make sure you get the power direct from the pack positive connection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:16 PM   #6
hbkxham
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Sergio fir the insight. I will go with a on/off switch.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
gable74
Getting Wild
Yamaha

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=164280
gable74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
hbkxham
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for that! Question about the on/off switch? Does it have to be 48VDC? I can’t seem to find alot of options for that switch. Does anyone know where I can find one.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #9
jason13
Not Yet Wild

I also bought the cheap voltage reducer. why can't you run the neg on 48v side from the voltage reducer to the neg on battery. run the pos wire from battery to light switch and then voltage reducer then just run your lights on the 12v side of the voltage reducer. so when you turn on your light switch it powers the voltage reducer then turns on the lights
jason13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #10
phipps33
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason13 View Post
I also bought the cheap voltage reducer. why can't you run the neg on 48v side from the voltage reducer to the neg on battery. run the pos wire from battery to light switch and then voltage reducer then just run your lights on the 12v side of the voltage reducer. so when you turn on your light switch it powers the voltage reducer then turns on the lights

Only issue with that is you’re running the whole load of the voltage reducer through the light switch. If the switch is rated for that great, but if it’s not you may be asking for trouble.

I also have a reducer without the trigger wire. I simply run it through a relay that is triggered by the key switch.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha