lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Aftermarket air filter for Yamaha G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Again the question comes up. Have you actually done one or you are just talking Slo ?
I have. And I’ve owned several G2/G9’s. I’ve never had one that ran well without the COMPLETE stock airbox, and the lid 100% sealed tight. My last G2 got a branch wedged up into the bottom of the airbox and put about a 1” long crack that was about 1/4” wide in the bottom where the mounting tab is in the front. It would fall on its face until I pulled the choke and it ran great. Sealed the hole with JB Weld and it ran great again.

Maybe you’ve got the magic touch, and can make them run great with sticks and string and K&N’s. or perhaps don’t know how they run when they’re running like they’re supposed to, so nothing to compare against. I don’t claim to know everything, but myself, and everybody I’ve known (including several members here) have issues when the stock airbox isn’t there or something is wrong with it. Same goes foe the *easily* crackable plastic spacer behind the carb. A little hairline crack and it doesn’t run right at all.

Sure with enough fiddling And carb tuning, it could work. But the time and effort it would take wouldn’t be worth it, especially considering it’s a 30+ year old, 9hp golf cart engine. You’re not getting noticeable performance gains from it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am going to try fox stock air filter box first.

I wasn’t looking for performance gain. I was looking for an modern air filter to replace a broken.
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I wasn't looking for a performance gain either. I was replacing a totally missing filter system and one that needed every thing. Got lucky twice by some peoples measure here. No fiddling at all on the 77 year old peoples cart. CP did you actually try a K&N ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I wasn't looking for a performance gain either. I was replacing a totally missing filter system and one that needed every thing. Got lucky twice by some peoples measure here. No fiddling at all on the 77 year old peoples cart. CP did you actually try a K&N ?

Where can I find this K&N filter online to read up about it and prices? I thought K&N fitlers are mostly for car / truck filters manufacture. Do they offer it with smaller inlet ?

I am still going to try fix my stock filter but I am curious about the K&N that you are mentioning about.

Thank you
Old 10-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

knfilters.com/dimsearch. Once you have the part # there are sellers all over the net. You just need to measure the OD of the carb flange and find the tapered oval unit. Don't forget to get the oiling kit or it won't work properly. I also started with their prefilter and later made one with UNI foam. 2008 was long ago but I think it was the HA 3500. The only items left here from the G 14 engine are the flywheel , valve cover and the intake scoop for the cooling fan. Everything else was sold off on E bay.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've used several K&N filters on carbureted machines. Most of them required a jetting adjustment, some a jetting change. Some stock air filter/intake setups are very restrictive by design, as well as the paper filter element. Changing to a K&N will naturally lean out the a/f ratio, even K&N will admit to that. When you buy their filters for motorcycles, they often come with a jet kit and a dyno sheet.

On computer controlled machines, the sensors will make the adjustments (ie cars/trucks/etc). But a carbureted machine WILL need to be adjusted in some fashion. It's possible that different machines will have different levels of restrictions. If you're talking about removing the air box and intake tube and using a K&N filter right on the carb, you will be reducing flow restriction significantly, thereby increasing air intake, thereby leaning out the air fuel ratio. You might get lucky, like rayhd did twice , but you might not. You might lean the mixture out enough to effect drivability. You'll know. Hopefully it works out for you.

My point is not to bash the idea of an aftermarket filter, but to tell the truth, and to share my experience. I have used these filters more than a dozen times on different machines, not just two rayhd. IMO the stock filter box, intake, and filter should be used because that's the way the machine, and carb, were designed to run. If the stock air intake is not functioning or is broken or not there at all.....well that's a different scenario, and you don't have much choice. Just be prepared to do some jetting adjustments. A severely lean a/f mix can melt a piston.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #17
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
knfilters.com/dimsearch. Once you have the part # there are sellers all over the net. You just need to measure the OD of the carb flange and find the tapered oval unit. Don't forget to get the oiling kit or it won't work properly. I also started with their prefilter and later made one with UNI foam. 2008 was long ago but I think it was the HA 3500. The only items left here from the G 14 engine are the flywheel , valve cover and the intake scoop for the cooling fan. Everything else was sold off on E bay.
I did a search ... about 50 dollar for one. It a nice filter but I think I will definitely try to fix my stock one first with 4 dollar bonding agent.

Thanks for sharing this information, it is useful and if my stock repair failed then I probably will be going this direction ...
Old 10-21-2020, 02:15 AM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Here is another aspect that thinkers might want to ponder.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As the author points out once a paper filter becomes wet it is done for. It is one thing on top of a car or truck and very much another the way most of us use our carts. Both of mine under the seat look like someone had been throwing sand and salt water under there. To the original OP how much does a new OEM filter cost and now long does it last ? The other point of the test is that this was done on large displacement engines and not our small displacement engines in which we use relatively large filters compared to engine size. Just more points to ponder.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
As the author points out once a paper filter becomes wet it is done for. It is one thing on top of a car or truck and very much another the way most of us use our carts. Both of mine under the seat look like someone had been throwing sand and salt water under there. To the original OP how much does a new OEM filter cost and now long does it last ?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha