lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #11
Mrtosh
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2016 Yamaha G29(Drive) is slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
It will wear the brushes in the motor down a bit faster, but that is a weak point on the Yamaha Drives unfortunately...I replace motor brushes as often as I do battery jobs nowadays...You can replace the brushes fairly cheap though...and you are correct does nothing for torque, just gets it up to 19 MPH...We charge $150 for the speed code installed here and I believe that's about average...
Thanks! Just don't want anything to fail prematurely. I called a local dealer and they're asking $175 which isn't too bad in comparison.
Mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #12
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

No prob...and yeah that's not to bad
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #13
Mrtosh
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
It will wear the brushes in the motor down a bit faster, but that is a weak point on the Yamaha Drives unfortunately...I replace motor brushes as often as I do battery jobs nowadays...You can replace the brushes fairly cheap though...and you are correct does nothing for torque, just gets it up to 19 MPH...We charge $150 for the speed code installed here and I believe that's about average...
Looking at the brushes, they're super cheap. Roughly $35 a set. Are they pretty straight forward to change out? Looks like the hardest part is getting to springs seated? The dealer wants $230 for new brushes and install.
Mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Took me an hour to change my brushes. Not hard if you have a few tools and some mechanical skills. It's a bit messy as you have to clean up a bunch of brush dust.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:21 AM   #15
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Indeed its a fairly straight forward job if you take your time...as Volt_Ampere stated you may want some disposable gloves and a painters mask(The brush dust is extremely nasty and you def don't wanna breathe it in) .. there are a few videos on Youtube on how to do it yourself if you need some guidance...also $230 from the dealer sounds about right that's almost spot on what we charge...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I don't know what they do for $230 but that is not too high considering the labor involved. If your brushes are worn to the point where the motor won't run, you can bet the commutator is in rough shape too. Mine was. A good motor shop will turn the commutator on a lathe but most shops probably just hit it with some sandpaper or a file. (I did) I would consider getting an aftermarket motor. A good one if you install it is about $500.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, slow, speed, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha