lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
CAPTCRUZER
Not Yet Wild

Default 86 G1 forward is awesome/reverse sputters and coughs

Hey all, looking for some info on my 86 G1. When I go into forward, the cart runs like a bat out of hell, but when I go into reverse, it sputters and coughs and tries to go but just can't. It will move ever so slightly, but continually coughs and sputters. Any suggestion or insight is appreciated. Thanx in advance.
CAPTCRUZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 86 G1 forward is awesome/reverse sputters and coughs

This can be a few things, unfortunately.

Your key switch could be failing. You can swap the forward / reverse leads at the switch to test. If you then run great in reverse but not forward then your switch is bad. You can actually do this at the solenoids. Assuming your cart has original wiring you can switch the blue wire from the one solenoid with the yellow on the other. This essentially swaps F and R on the switch.

Your cdi can be on the blink as well. I have never been able to wrap my head around the logic of why a cdi would allow spark one way but not the other but, for sure, I have seen it.

Wiring. Grab a wiring schematic, they are all over the web. Inspect / replace all wiring associated with that blue wire on the solenoid to include the ground it's partnered with. Obviously, that blue wire and its associates are for reverse.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha