lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #21
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Is There Any Way To Go From A Gas Motor Into This Stock Axle??(pics)

I too am a welder. I have been a certified pipe welder for 20 years and this is not a project I would undertake the way you want to go about it. I will explain...An electric cart achieves forward or reverse by the way the motor turns. A gas cart (Club Car) uses a transmission built in the rear axle to go forward or reverse. By using the electric axle with a gas engine you will not have reverse in your cart unless you come up with a way to stop the engine and restart it in reverse. To do this you are looking at buying a special starter. Also you would have to come up with a way to attach a torque converter to the splined axle that the electric motor attaches to. You cannot weld something on to this shaft because the heat will remove the heat treatment in the metal and when the power is applied you will shear that dive shaft off. I can appreciate you wanting to do this but in the long run it will cost far more both in time and money. PLUS the gearing is different for gas and electric. It is just not something you want to do. Sorry to disappoint you.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
taylorar70
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Is There Any Way To Go From A Gas Motor Into This Stock Axle??(pics)

okay thank you i need someone to explain it thats really what i wanted . okay this is me just thinking but what if you look like a lawn mower rear axle and motor even though it is a vertican shaft is conmverts some how would that work any.
taylorar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #23
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If I were you I would look for a wrecked gas cart. You might be able to pick one up for $200 or so???? I have seen them! Hopefully the rearend is good, then all you have to do is find a motor which there is a thousand of them that will work, such as most snowmobiles motors will work my friends have at least 5 different ones in carts!!! Like you said your friends are hilljacks!! Mine are to and they all have done some sort of conversion!! Just keep looking, and don't give up!!!!!!!! I like your spirit!!
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
taylorar70
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Re: Is There Any Way To Go From A Gas Motor Into This Stock Axle??(pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicalgolfcarts View Post
If I were you I would look for a wrecked gas cart. You might be able to pick one up for $200 or so???? I have seen them! Hopefully the rearend is good, then all you have to do is find a motor which there is a thousand of them that will work, such as most snowmobiles motors will work my friends have at least 5 different ones in carts!!! Like you said your friends are hilljacks!! Mine are to and they all have done some sort of conversion!! Just keep looking, and don't give up!!!!!!!! I like your spirit!!
yea i do not have a car and this is like my car but cheaper and if i mess it up it will not kill me well less chance. i just need to figure out a way to do it and the supplys.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #25
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicalgolfcarts View Post
I agree with radical. Check craigslist in your area and call your local golf cart places. You might be surprised and be able to pick up a junk cart with good rear axle for peanuts. You would be surprised how many broken down carts people are willing to give away for about nothing just to get rid of them. They are good to scavenge parts off though. I would not mess with a tractor axle, wrong dimensions and not the right suspension mounts. Just remember, even though you can weld not everything can handle being welded. Many parts are heat treated for stength and welding them will most definetly cause failure, so be careful.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #26
taylorar70
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Re: Is There Any Way To Go From A Gas Motor Into This Stock Axle??(pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalass88 View Post
I agree with radical. Check craigslist in your area and call your local golf cart places. You might be surprised and be able to pick up a junk cart with good rear axle for peanuts. You would be surprised how many broken down carts people are willing to give away for about nothing just to get rid of them. They are good to scavenge parts off though. I would not mess with a tractor axle, wrong dimensions and not the right suspension mounts. Just remember, even though you can weld not everything can handle being welded. Many parts are heat treated for stength and welding them will most definetly cause failure, so be careful.
wow thanks im a little hard headed and still dont want to give up on the idea of a good power gas motor.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #27
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well you have the frame!! Next find a rear, then a motor, and then you have a cart!! My cousin is 17 and he already fabbed up a 16h vanny, 440cc ski doo, and a 700 crotch rocket motor in carts. Found the bike at a junk yard for $50 motor running!!! 16 vanny was out or a bank and collar mower from a golf course CHEAP, and last but not least the 440cc snowmobile motor was also picked up for $50 and just had to get the motor running!!! So I think maybe your biggest expense may be your rear end. Find one and you will be golden!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #28
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is nothing wrong with that Taylor. I can appreciate your drive to pull this off. But just remember, you want it to last and you want to be happy with it in the long run. Just keep looking to see what you can find for cheap or free and everybody here will do our best to help you build a cart you can be proud of.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #29
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorar70 View Post
wow thanks im a little hard headed and still dont want to give up on the idea of a good power gas motor.
Don't give up!! Keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
taylorar70
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

okay so dose it have to be a club cart rear end or what?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car