lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Stevesc3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Question about "regen" braking functions

Hi,
I have a 2002 IQ Club Car and am thinking of changing the motor out to a Plum Purple motor and notice the spec. says "Motor change only with Regen removed". I would like to know exactly what functions I will lose. I know that I'll lose the batteries charging on braking but have no idea what else. Can anyone tell me? Thanks,
Steve
Stevesc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Question about "regen" braking functions

Other than loosing recharging ability on down hill runs you will also loose the auto braking when slowing down. If you live in hilly country this could put a much heavier load on borderline rear brakes?
Remember that cart brakes are made for 10-15 MPH at most with 300-450 weight load. If you are thinking of going with a higher speed motor and adding a rear seat and have any hills to go down I would consider disc brakes all around or at very least on front wheels.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Old Mec answered your questions well on what regen does with your cart when on. I know there are several carts in the Villages where it shows you live with PQ motors and with speeds in the low 20's. Two members here have installed them over the past several months and none with any ill effects that they know of. My cart does constant 26's and I'm happy with the way it preforms as well, including braking. Since I made it into an LSV I had to have it weighed and it came in at 1,140 lbs. Most LSV's today can do 25 mph and only have rear brakes. But just like a car on a mountain, especially when on the decline, you'd need to be careful since that extra speed and extra weight will make your cart take longer to stop. But just like any new vehicle, once you get the hang of it you'll know what it can and can't do. Overall you should be fine with a PlumQuick motor, especially in your area. Not too many hills in Florida so just use common sense, especially with others on your cart at higher speeds.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
bdmonist
Getting Wild
Club Car

I know this wasn't your question, but why not just replace it with a regen motor and be able to keep the regen and braking functions?
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car