lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Half-fast
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Headlights on 48V cart - no converter

I searched before doing this myself and didn't find anything so here is my solution.

I wanted to add headlights to my 48V Club Car, but didn't want to spend the $150 on a converter. I found some 24-48 converters so I could hook it to 3 8v batteries, which while cheaper, still was more money.

My solution was to connect 2 12V lights to 3 batteries, but put the lights in series instead of parallel (batt + to light+, from - of that light to + of next light, then to neg of batt)

It works great, and won't blow bulbs. The only down side is that if one bulb blows out, the other one won't work either. Solution is to carry a spare bulb.

Sure, it comes with the same issues any 3 battery solution has, but I resolved that by putting two sets of connectors on the batteries. I use the cart on weekends, every other weekend or so and will switch the connectors each weekend so as not to tax any 3 batteries too much.

Thought I would share..
Half-fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Loosewire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Headlights on 48V cart - no converter

Whatever works...

I just run mine on (2) 8-volt batteries and have not had a problem even after a couple of hours playing in the snow one night back in Feb. However, I learned quickly not to turn them on when the charger was connected!

I do plan to get a converter one day, but offshore fishing is heating up so my money is flying out another window for the next 4-6 weeks.
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

I just run mine on 8 volts.
Just a little dimme, but they work fine.
buscopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
bdmonist
Getting Wild
Club Car

Not sure where you are looking at converters, but they can be had for $70 and convert the 48 down to 12. I like this solution better because you are using all the batteries equally instead of using one or two more than the others.

here;s one of many
http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-115...2v-10-amp.aspx
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

I ran my head/tail lights off two of my batteries for a couple of years and everything worked okay.

I just installed my converter and upgraded my cart to 48v.

I do know that because the charger charges the whole pack and not each battery independently, there is going to be some over-taxing on some batteries because of the drain from the additional amps which will reduce the life of a battery then the entire pack.

Not sure what the life time change is by running without a converter, but due to the cost of the batteries, I'm thinking that an extra 6 months would pay for a good converter. JMHO.
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Golf-Cart-Conver...item563c059ee9

It probably doesn't have enough amps for more than lights, but mine has been working fine for a couple months.
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just add a 12 volt handicapped scooter deep cycle battery that is small 71/2"X51/2"X71/2" and can be mounted in any position as its a sealed unit. Last time I checked they ran $58.00 locally.
For long time I just threw it in glove compartment until I got around to mounting it over front suppension.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car