lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
hawgs
Getting Wild

Default Steering Popping

My steering is starting to make a lot of noise when turning the wheels side to side. Anyone have any ideas on what needs to be replaced and where I might be able to purchase said parts? Hopefully the entire rack doesn't need to be replaced.

Thanks!
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Steering Popping

Jack up one side of front suspension and check for anything loose and then do the same on other side. If you find play in tie rod ends that would be fairly simple to replace. Loosen but do not take the castle nut clear off as you may have to tap on it with a brass rod to loosen. It may take a little hammering on one side of tie rod end while holding another hammer on opposite side to shake them off.
If king pins are loose you will need to tear one side down at a time and replace the bronze spindal bushings and seals, and at same time check for a cracked Upper Clevis as this is common.
Also check the rack and pinion steering for wear and or lack of grease. Cut the bands around bellows at each end and pull the back and check inside for grease. I often find them dry which could cause the sound you are hearing?
Look to our sponsors for needed parts and supplies.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Note the position of the wheel as you turn and hear the noise. Is it always in about the same spot? If so I would look to the Rack & Pinion assembly..... What year, model cart did you say it was?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
hawgs
Getting Wild

It's a 2000 48V DS. It has the 8" BU lift (I bought it before I knew better and before knowing how poor quality their products and customer service are).

I'll check both of your suggestions this weekend... the cart is an hour away. Thank you!
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have no problem with the quality of factory Club Cars, Ezgo, etc, but there are certain models I would stay away from only because of limited design problems? AS I understand there are good dealers in your area that seem to do quality repairs. I can only go by what members have told me so I only get one side of story.
What comes into play is POOR QUALITY AFTER MARKET PARTS being sold through some factory dealers and after market suppliers? So much junk from China that is being sold as American made parts is what really get me mad. Cheap materials and poor assembly and design, etc makes a good cart into a unsafe, unreliable, piece of junk? I am seeing more and more parts coming with NO PLACE OF MANUFACTURE ( which is required by federal law ) and no container so unless you look you will think you are getting factory parts and no part numbers at all on parts like solenoids etc? The whole thing is based on one thing GREED and before its over we will have much more to face as government regulations are lowered or being ignored or bypassed to make the almighty shrinking dollar.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car