lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default 2004 ST 350 - Engine Siezed Up

My '04 ST 350 engine was seized up when I got it. It won't turn over by starter or by hand. The battery is fine, and when I loosened the starter belt, the starter turned over just fine. It looks like it would be much easier to work on the engine outside of the cart. Is there a manual or guide for pulling the engine, or is it pretty straight forward?

thanks
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 ST 350 - Engine Siezed Up

The tech section can provide you with the manual that you need. It's got it all. Take a look and see if it helps!!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
The tech section can provide you with the manual that you need. It's got it all. Take a look and see if it helps!!
Thanks. I found 28614-g03-gb.pdf and 28765-g01.pdf. I broke out my come-a-long and have my buggy parked under a laminated beam in my garage. I'll try and snatch it tomorrow.

Is there any common reason for these engines to seize up? I know with lotsa cars with OHCs if a timing belt fails, it drives the pistons into the unmoving valves. Is that a possibility with these engines?
Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not much to it. The four bolts holding the skid plate and two more bolts on each end of the engine. 5/8" works. Thats's what holds the engine, the fuel and linkages need to be dealt with. All the engine stuff is in the tech section-Need a Ezgo manual, diagram, or ID help?
The whole engine book and specs are there somewhere.
Usually , they are run with no oil and are repairable. Sometimes they'll over-run them and take out a rod. It take a lot to ruin one of these blocks.
The valves are recessed into the head, if the valve train is intact, it's very unlikely to bend a valve. I broke 3 timing belts with no problems.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

What i have seen the most of on the 295 and 350 is valves being pulled through the head and connecting rods breaking. The ease of gov. adust. on these things to get better speed is usually the downfall of these engines with stock parts. These engines werent designed for rpm's that high for a sustained period of time. If you can't get the crank to move you may have a bigger prob... Piston siezed up in the block or the main bearings have seized. Either way it aint no good if it aint runnin, so I say fix it. The engine is relatively easy to get out and it's not to heavy. And yes, taking the engine out is the only way to fix it. I wouldnt even attempt it in the cart. Get some pic's of the progress and the problem when you disassemble and let us know if we can help..!!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
<snip> And yes, taking the engine out is the only way to fix it. I wouldnt even attempt it in the cart. Get some pic's of the progress and the problem when you disassemble and let us know if we can help..!!
I'll try and remember. I'm usually pretty good at that, but sometimes get so caught up in the rebuild that I forget to clic pics.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

i just take out with my hands. they are light, and can be pickup up by hands. I have seen alot of rods break lately.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
i just take out with my hands. they are light, and can be pickup up by hands. I have seen alot of rods break lately.
I pulled it Sunday, but haven't had time to tear into it yet. I pulled it with the air filter and starter still attached, so maneuvering it around the obstruction of the frame were a bit tricky. I now have it in the bed of my buggy.

Did the engines you've seen with broken rods suffer any damage besides the rods themselves? I can't turn mine in either direction, so I was guessing spun main bearings or thrown rod(s).

thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The mains may be siezed on the shaft or a piston may have siezed in the cyl. causing it not to move. Just have to tear her down and see. Removind the head to see the bore condition will give away a piston failure, other than that you will have to get in the case to see the crank condition. Keep us updated..
Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I tore it completely apart this morning and it had spun a piston rod bearing. I looked in 27615-g01.pdf and it appears there is no real bearing here; just the rod and cap. So it looks like I'll need a new rod. I'm gonna try and clean up the crank with a scotchbright pad. The cylinders have no ridge at all,so both pistons slid right out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO