lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Slinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What can go bad in a cluch?

Hey guys new guy here with a question.

Grand parents have a 89 EZ-GO that the family beats the crap out of. Last time it worked the belt went bad. We got a new one but now it wont move. You have to mash the gas before the clutch moves to engage the belt.

So my question is what can go bad inside the clutch that makes it not work? I have taken the front plate off and there is nothing I can see that's broke or missing inside. Also I am guessing it is pressed on the shaft to?

Here are some photos.

Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What can go bad in a cluch?

Normal operation of the clutch is to accelerate to a proper rpm before the clutch engages the belt. Is it reving high before engaging?
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Slinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes when you step on the gas it will rev up way more then normal, Then launch forward and you can hear the belt squealing. The cart will only move under full power and if the revs drop you don't go anywhere.
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
tnt.lee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have similar problems. with the clutch you showed I have the same. and the same year of cart. After numerous attempts to find "dogs" on the net or rebuild kits I finaly give up and ordered a comet. My clutch besides deciding when its going to engage, rattles louder than the 2 stroke motor itself. You will find a lot of posts here looking for that clutch. The clutch ramps themselves are aluminum, when they wear they wear rapidly.
tnt.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
dakotakid
Not Yet Wild

are these clutches serviceable?
dakotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I would guess that the drive clutch is slowly seizing up. What should happen is that the clutch should slowly squeeze together as the revs increase, grip the belt and then drive it up the flanges as they get closer together. It sounds like your clutch is remaining open until you get to high revs and then closing with a bang, grabbing the belt and trying to get your cart from 0 to 10 in an instant. From your photo it looks like you have removed the drive belt so why don't you get someone to slowly increase the revs whilst you watch the clutch to see if it closes gradually or with a bang. You have nothing to lose in removing the cover and giving the weights and springs a generous dose of WD40. Other than that you are faced with replacing it.
You can replace the buttons and springs in the driven clutch but remember it is under tension get another pair of hands to help or you might find that the spring will fly out and remove a tooth or two
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO