lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: Engine swap information needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firescooby View Post
Are the big blocks much louder?
Depending on what kind of muffler is used, they can sound like a Harley with straight pipes, or nearly as quiet as a stock cart.. The 18 Vannys can be made nearly as quiet as the stock engine.. I have a large Onan generator muffler on my 23, and it has a nice deep burble at idle, and barks with authority when you stand on it.. At a 20MPH cruise, it's quiet enough to hold a normal conversation in the front seat.. Of course with the 8:1 gears I have, it's loafing along at 2800-3000RPM at 20MPH, and has enough torque to plant you back in the seat when you stand on it at that speed..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
Depending on what kind of muffler is used, they can sound like a Harley with straight pipes, or nearly as quiet as a stock cart.. The 18 Vannys can be made nearly as quiet as the stock engine.. I have a large Onan generator muffler on my 23, and it has a nice deep burble at idle, and barks with authority when you stand on it.. At a 20MPH cruise, it's quiet enough to hold a normal conversation in the front seat.. Of course with the 8:1 gears I have, it's loafing along at 2800-3000RPM at 20MPH, and has enough torque to plant you back in the seat when you stand on it at that speed..
Would changing gears be a possibility? What is involved with that and cost?

Thanks
Firescooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Would changing gears be a possibility? What is involved with that and cost?

Thanks
I wouldn't do a gear swap unless you're planning on dropping a Vanny in it.. The V-Twins have enough torque to pull the taller gears.. A set of 8:1's will kill whatever hill climbing ability your 9 horse has..

A gear swap will run about $350-400 for the gears and the associated gaskets and seals for the axle housing, with you supplying the labor..
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
I wouldn't do a gear swap unless you're planning on dropping a Vanny in it.. The V-Twins have enough torque to pull the taller gears.. A set of 8:1's will kill whatever hill climbing ability your 9 horse has..

A gear swap will run about $350-400 for the gears and the associated gaskets and seals for the axle housing..
Thanks. I may go with the 28 degree clutch first.

Where is this found? I've looked on CPP, and can't find it.

Does the shorter belt and 28 degree work together? I've read conflicting reports that say yes, and some say it makes shifting very difficult.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Thanks. I may go with the 28 degree clutch first.

Where is this found? I've looked on CPP, and can't find it.

Does the shorter belt and 28 degree work together? I've read conflicting reports that say yes, and some say it makes shifting very difficult.
IMHO, I'd do one or the other, not both.. My preference is the 28deg. driven.. If your clutch is in good shape, all you have to do is change the cam and buttons in the back of it.. This would run less than half the cost of a new clutch.. Give Tom at CPP a call and ask about having your driven clutch machined and a 28 deg. cam installed.. This would be the "hot ticket" for a stock engine.. Ask for your old 36 deg. cam back, so when you finally splurge for the Vanny, you can re-install it.. The Vannys LOVE the 36 deg. driven with a light preload on the spring..
Old 06-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #16
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Heres a kit in the for sale ads... It say its for a 98 txt but you might want to ask about it to see if it will fit!!
Big Block
tinman2013
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
IMHO, I'd do one or the other, not both.. My preference is the 28deg. driven.. If your clutch is in good shape, all you have to do is change the cam and buttons in the back of it.. This would run less than half the cost of a new clutch.. Give Tom at CPP a call and ask about having your driven clutch machined and a 28 deg. cam installed.. This would be the "hot ticket" for a stock engine.. Ask for your old 36 deg. cam back, so when you finally splurge for the Vanny, you can re-install it.. The Vannys LOVE the 36 deg. driven with a light preload on the spring..
Emailed Tom and he said to send clutch into be machined and a heavier spring installed.

How hard is it to remove the clutch? He didn't mention a new cam.

Advise? Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

When the power spring is used the cam does not do much at all
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Emailed Tom and he said to send clutch into be machined and a heavier spring installed.

How hard is it to remove the clutch? He didn't mention a new cam.

Advise? Thanks
I'd go with whatever Tom advises you to do.. He does this stuff everyday for a living..

The driven clutch is easy to remove... Loosen and remove the bolt in the center of the clutch, remove the belt, then slide the clutch off of the splined input shaft.. DO NOT lose the special shoulder washer on the mounting bolt, it's a dealer part and a bit pricey.. Before reinstalling the clutch, smear a thin coat of anti-seize lubricant on the splines and the bolt threads.. This will make removal in the future a lot easier..
Old 07-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #20
c.r.harmon
Not Yet Wild

can the 23 fit in a stock height ez go gas?
c.r.harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO