lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
tbonez
Not Yet Wild

Default 205-30-12 vs 215-35-12

I am looking at low profile tires to put on a cart. The two series of tires are 205-30-12 and 215-35-12. I admitt I am no tire expert and my understanding is that the 30 series is a lower profile tire. Has anyone run the 30 series tire? Is it liveable or does it beat your brains out? I dont mind a rougher ride but I dont want to have to stress everytime I hit a rock that I damaged my wheels...Is the 215-35-12 a better choice?
tbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 205-30-12 vs 215-35-12

I have run both on upgraded carts in the past and i haven't really noticed that much difference in the ride quality. As for damage to your rims, unless you are planning to go bajaing over speedbumps or through pot hole infested roads, you shouldn't have an issue. Since this is the Club Car side of the forum, I have to ask if you have added a small lift (3" seems to work well and still look good) to the car or done the Jake's mod to the front end? If not, you are going to probably have issues with tire rub using 12 inch rims/tires.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

AS I understand the new metric numbers that the 35 would be a little taller side wall than the 30 but it looks such a small difference ( in photos ) that unless you were going to run really low on tire pressure and try steeple jumping it shouldnt hurt your rims either way?
Have you seen the commercial where a sports car hits a chuck hole and blows a tire isnt likely to happen?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
tbonez
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I have run both on upgraded carts in the past and i haven't really noticed that much difference in the ride quality. As for damage to your rims, unless you are planning to go bajaing over speedbumps or through pot hole infested roads, you shouldn't have an issue. Since this is the Club Car side of the forum, I have to ask if you have added a small lift (3" seems to work well and still look good) to the car or done the Jake's mod to the front end? If not, you are going to probably have issues with tire rub using 12 inch rims/tires.

Interesting...I hadnt thought about a lift. My understanding was that you didnt need a lift with 12 inch rims with LP tires. This is going to be a Precedent cart and if you have experience with it, it sounds like I will need to do something. I dont want a jacked up cart so I what is the least I can do to get the height I need?
tbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This may help

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"

Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. """"""""""""The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall."""""""""""""""We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

Internal Construction
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sorry about that, I didn't realize it was a Prec model. I personally haven't done many low profile setups on the Prec model car. I automatically assumed your car was a DS.

I'll bow to someone with greater knowledge regarding 12" LP on your specific car model.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

I put 205-30-12 on a precedent and had additional room to lower the cart. The local dealer described that the 215-35-12 sometimes rub on the passenger wheel well when tires are turned right. There is a channel molded into that wheel well for wiring that the tires rub.

The channel can be removed and the wiring relocated (I am currently doing that now) but unless you want to get this involved, I would suggest sticking with the 205-30-12 and you shouldn't have to modify height or wiring!

OT
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car