lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
FreeRide199
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1986 Ezgo Marathon

I just picked up a 1986 ezgo marathon for $200, she turns over everything seems to work besides no spark, i got power going to the coil but nothing coming from the coil. Also before there was little spark very weak but you would only get it every now and again whe you press and let of the accelerater it seemed. Checked all my wires, couldnt find any that were broke, also cleaned all my connections. So my question am i right and saying that the ignition coil is shot?
FreeRide199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 Ezgo Marathon

Welcome!!!!Did you try a new plug or a spark-tester?It could just be a bad plug.If thats not it then the ignition module or coil could be the answer.Look in the threads for test-procedures for both components.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
FreeRide199
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ya i put a new plug in'er new fuel lines oil lines fuel filter the whole works, i've searched some of the threads on here and thats where i got the connections and making sure the wire arent broke, tested the pulser coil and that seems good at 150ohms, also got power going to coil but just not sure how much as i used i test light, ill have to use a meter tommorow and see how much voltage is getting to it
Old 07-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just picked up an 86 last week, and had the exact same problems you were. the guy who had it before me put in a new coil and ignitor. still didnt run, so he gave up and sold it. I found out it was one of the pulsar coil wires that was broke and i had to resolder it back on, so make sure you check the blue and red wires coming out of your engine that plug into the ignitor, they should read between 75 and 150 ohms.
87ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

also, if the ignitor is going you'll get a weak and/or intermittent spark (generally one when you press the pedal and one when you release it) - if you're getting 12v to the coil and the ignitor is bad, that would keep the coil from sparking as it should, regardless that the correct voltage is there.

On the upside, the HEI mod replaces your ignitor and coil for under $50 and increases efficiency and performance, on the downside there is no "test" for the ignitor other than to replace it and see what happens
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
FreeRide199
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

right on, my pulser coil is good shes reading 149 ohms i think im gunna do the hei mod kill two birds with one stone. I tried testing the coil and i get a reading then it goes to 0 but its differant everytime. Also where can i get a coil and module for the mod besides ebay, ebay will be the last resort, would napa or carquest carry them?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

sure do - the HEI module you want is the one for a 1976 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup with a 350 engine (or if you have an Advance Auto around, just get an Accel 35361) ... As to the coil, any standard 12v coil will do, I bought a nice high-output racing Kart coil off Ebay for like $16 shipped but in the interim I was running a 12v bottle-style off a 1973 Case 444 that just happened to be sitting in the barn doing nothing, which looked like doodoo but worked fine.

Keep in mind you'll also need a plug wire, as you won't be able to reuse yours - make sure to measure how long of a wire you'll need (depending on where you plan on mounting the coil) and NAPA can build you one in about 5 minutes for $7 or so

Here's the wiring diagram:

one point to make sure you remember when actually doing the conversion, the HEI NEEDS (needs-needs-needs) to be in full, tight contact with a heavy metal surface, both for grounding and for heat dissipation. I ground a bare area on the frame to mount mine, and to be double-safe I also rigged a ground lead directly to one of the mounting bolts (see pic)

Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
landers96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

how about a pic of the hei and coil installed? I think it would help this newbie greatly. thanks
landers96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

well, that pic is pretty much the best I can do in one photo, my HEI is mounted passenger side down on the frame by the pulsar, and my coil is drivers side low on a bracket on the firewall so I could use the shortest plug wire possible - I can snap a pic or two later today, although the diagram and pic of the HEI mounted is pretty self-explainatory
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
FreeRide199
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thats perfect thanks BrewCity for the info and the wiring diagram, one more question do these 244cc robins motors have points? because seeing how the cart sat for a year and half im thinking there a little dirty like the rest of it was
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO