lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
dchance
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default 87 marathon Not running as good

Few things, PLEASE help.

First of all, the cart will not always start when hitting the pedal. I will have to turn the key off and on and that usually does the trick. What gives?

second, Hard to explain, but it seems to bog at full throttle never used to.

third, cart has gotten quite a bit louder in the past year. Check for an exhaust leak?
dchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
mod9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 marathon Not running as good

well I'm sort of new to this but i also have a 87. with mine the switch on the pedal was sticking. it wouldn't shut off. i just took apart and cleaned it up and it stopped so i would check all the electrical connections down at the foot switch. . the one thing i do know about the throttle is if you low speed screw on your carb is more than 1 1/2 turns out it will bog due to to much fuel. screw it all the way in and then turn it out 1 1/2 tuns and set it. the loudness is probably coming from the header. take the exhaust all the way of and check the welds on the muffler and the part where it comes off the engine . mine was cracked as it comes out of the engine . just welded it up and ran much quieter.hope this helps .
mod9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have an 88, check to see that the switch linkage is adjusted right, My switch is under the seat on the firewall and the linkage works loose and cause problems
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

all good advice here, but for my two cents I had the EXACT symptom with an intemittent keyswitch when I first put my 88 back on the turf - I just wired a $3 toggle switch in place of the keyswitch and it worked fine until I got around to replacing it with a new, correct keyswitch.

As to the exhaust leak, again all good advice, mine had a leak at the lowest spot on the header pipe (likely due to an impact/dent by the previous owner that weakened the metal and allowed it to perforate) - the problem I had was that the holes were so small that they were hard to spot on the rusty pipe at first, after running it for awhile though I ended up with a telltale oil spot on the pipe which led me to the breach which was welded up locally for $15 and lasted until I was able to track down a new to me used header pipe WITHOUT the holes.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

and just another $0.02c Perhaps your muffler needs clearing out. If it is gunked up it will not allow the exhaust gases to flow which will bog it dawn at high speed and the additional back pressure may have popped a gasket. Remove the muffler, light a big old fire in the yard and put the muffler on the top. After 30 minutes or so you will see flames shooting out of both ends as the oil burns out. You should also be aware that in many states it is illegal to have a fire unless the organic fire extinguisher is charged. This is why when watching the muffler you must drink copious quantities of beer.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
jskom
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9 View Post
well I'm sort of new to this but i also have a 87. with mine the switch on the pedal was sticking. it wouldn't shut off. i just took apart and cleaned it up and it stopped so i would check all the electrical connections down at the foot switch. . the one thing i do know about the throttle is if you low speed screw on your carb is more than 1 1/2 turns out it will bog due to to much fuel. screw it all the way in and then turn it out 1 1/2 tuns and set it. the loudness is probably coming from the header. take the exhaust all the way of and check the welds on the muffler and the part where it comes off the engine . mine was cracked as it comes out of the engine . just welded it up and ran much quieter.hope this helps .
Any idea on where you can get a replacement pipe between the motor and muffler?
jskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO