lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
In2ice
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter/Generator brush replacement tips?

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or secrets to removing, changing brushes and re-installing a starter/generator for a Yamaha G22? I have to change my brushes but have never done it before and can't find much "how to" info on the topic. Thanks in advance for any and all replies!
-Allan
In2ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Default Re: Starter/Generator brush replacement tips?

Allan, its real simple. Unscrew the screws around the end of the case and pull the end of the starter out of the case. Examine the brushes carefully before removing them, so you know exactly how to put them back in. My suggestion is to take one off, and replace it right then. When removing, make sure you work over a towel and bench, so you don't loose the springs and such. Its easy to put them back into place. Be aware - DO NOT breath the black dust. It's horrible for your lungs. I suggest to wear a mask and use compressed air to remove all the rest of the dust in the case. Good luck!
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
In2ice
Not Yet Wild

Thanks...i did what you said and it was quite easy to replace the brushes. The hardest part was breaking the bolts loose that hold the starter on. A bit of PB Blaster did the trick and it was smooth sailing from that point on.
In2ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
egnilk66
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What kind of a difference in performance did you experience after you changed them?
egnilk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Did you clean up the commutator? Did you check the bearings?
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha