lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
etech
Not Yet Wild

Default Gauges for Precedent

Hi all,

I have been working on this project for a while now and thought I would post the results. I'm a guy who likes instrumentation so I decided to install some gauges on the Precedent.

Glowshift triple gauge pod with Sunpro StyleLine gauges installed. CHT Temp, Voltmeter, Oil Pressure. I also installed a matching Sunpro StyleLine Fuel gauge in the dash.

Glowshift 3 3/4 inch Tach for my tired old eyes.

CHT (cylinder head temperature) sensor installed on head with home-made copper bracket. I used the standard Sunpro water temp sender for this. Head temp runs about 210 degrees when hot.

Oil pressure sender installed at oil filter port. Note on the Kawasaki FE350 this port is a 1/8 inch metric BSP (British Standard Pipe Thread). I used an Equus 1/8 - 28 BSP male to 1/8 - 27 NPT female (national pipe thread) adapter out of an Equus 9848 oil pressure adapter kit that I purchased from Amazon. This adapter is probably available at the local auto parts store too! I also used a standard brass 1/8" npt nipple and 1/8" brass elbow purchased from Home Depot to complete the sensor installation. A 1/8" npt brass street 'L' would have been better but I could not find one locally. The gauge works well and my typical oil pressure is about 50-60 psi cold and slightly less hot.

BTW, for those who have questions on the tach installation, see member Fastercarters thread in the Big Block section for info.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...achometer.html

I hope this helps answer some questions about installing a gauge set on these carts.

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
etech
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Gauges for Precedent

Oh well! Guess I was the only one interested in installing gauges on the Club Car. Either that or everyone else has already been there, done that! That probably explains why I got no response to an earlier post when I was trying to find out what thread the oil port is on a FE290/350. I had to find out for myself.

Ed
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
fastercarter
Gone Wild

The gauges look great Ed I didn't have a dash like yours, mine was black diamond plate with no center glove box so I mounted my gauges and light switches flush in the middle. My project cart is either going to have gauges mounted on the A pillar or perhaps like yours, on the dash top.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Country Chaos
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am very interested in adding a gas gauge to my 2012 precedent. I called Club car and they wanted $75 for the sending unit, and $75 for the gauge. Is there a cheaper option? And also, i was told the precedent was pre-wired for a gas gauge is that true. Would love some details in purchasing and installing a gas gauge.
Country Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
etech
Not Yet Wild

Hi,

I used the Sunpro Style LIne Fuel Gauge CP8219 available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP8219-StyleLine-Electrical-Level/dp/B000FJU8L2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348691349&sr=8-1&keywords=sunpro+style+line+fuel+sender http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP8219-StyleLine-Electrical-Level/dp/B000FJU8L2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348691349&sr=8-1&keywords=sunpro+style+line+fuel+sender

I purchased the Sunpro Fuel Gauge sending Unit CP7583 also available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7583-Fuel-Level-Sender/dp/B00029JXMU/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7583-Fuel-Level-Sender/dp/B00029JXMU/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y

I think the total would be about $30 and the shipping is free with an order of $25 or more.

And yes, I believe the wire for the sending unit (orange wire) is already in place and just needs to be connected to the gauge and extended under the seat over to the fuel sender unit. The ground wire is in place at the tank where the fuel sender unit is mounted. I don't remember if the switched +12 volt from the ignition was present under the dash or whether I had to run a new wire. You will also need to hook up a ground wire to the gauge behind the dash.

Good luck and be careful, as gasoline fumes can be explosive.

Ed
Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Country Chaos
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did you have to make any adjustment to the gauge?

What full was? What empty was?

I received a recall for the gas tank and was hoping to do it then maybe when there wasn't any gas in the tank.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Country Chaos
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also, did you do a volt meter? I am planning on putting a deep cycle battery in the rear of my cart to run my radio while sitting still, and it would be nice to have a volt meter to know when to re-charge the deep cycle batt.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
etech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Chaos View Post
Did you have to make any adjustment to the gauge?

What full was? What empty was?

I received a recall for the gas tank and was hoping to do it then maybe when there wasn't any gas in the tank.
Not really! I just followed the inststructions that came with the sender unit and it worked out OK.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
etech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Chaos View Post
Also, did you do a volt meter? I am planning on putting a deep cycle battery in the rear of my cart to run my radio while sitting still, and it would be nice to have a volt meter to know when to re-charge the deep cycle batt.
Yes, I did a volt meter too. I used the Sunpro Style LIne voltmeter that is part of the same series as the other gauges.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Country Chaos
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How did you get the sending unit in the tank? It seems that the hinge part is too large to get in the designed diameter hole that is outlined on the tank.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car