lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
jeep1993
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 problem

I have a G2 what needed the motor replaced due to a rod knock. Replaced the engine and hooked all of the connections and parts back up as before. It rolls over and sounds like it wants to run. It is getting fuel, spark, but when you step on the gas pedel it doesnt pickup speed. Need advice. was told the valves needed to be adjusted again. does that affect it that much or be the issue?
jeep1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 problem

I would check the accelerator cable connection to the carburetor. If the throttle in the carb. is opening the engine speed should increase as it opens. - Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
jeep1993
Not Yet Wild

the cable connects to the governer correct then onto the carb?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When my G2 had that problem more then once. Each time it was something different. First time a couple weeks after I got it the throttle cable popped out of bracket. Second time it was the ground on the coil was loose and the third time it was the 2 small wires coming out of the starter/gen that I forgot to hook back up.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not 100% sure about your G-2, but on my G-16 the cable from the accelerator pedal goes to the governor, then a cable goes from there to the carb. There is an adjustment procedure in my G-16 manual for it. Your G-2 is probably similar and I'm sure there is also an adjustment procedure for yours somewhere in the G2-G9 manual. (I hope you have that manual as it is available as a download and makes things much easier for "self-maintenance"). - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
jeep1993
Not Yet Wild

I figured out my problem. The engine I bought off a member here (you know who you are) wasn't as good as they said it was. I was had the valve cover off and was looking at the push rods and rockers. The exhaust valve wasn't opening all The way. After removing the engine again removing the pulley and sidecover it was found the exhaust lobe on the cam was completely wore off. The lifters that run on the cam were so pitted and rusty they were junk. I installed a new cam and lifters. Adjusted them put it all back together and it runs. I guess you can't trust some members selling things.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
shortthrow50
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep1993 View Post
I figured out my problem. The engine I bought off a member here (you know who you are) wasn't as good as they said it was. I was had the valve cover off and was looking at the push rods and rockers. The exhaust valve wasn't opening all The way. After removing the engine again removing the pulley and sidecover it was found the exhaust lobe on the cam was completely wore off. The lifters that run on the cam were so pitted and rusty they were junk. I installed a new cam and lifters. Adjusted them put it all back together and it runs. I guess you can't trust some members selling things.
I just read the sale ad. It did say the valves need to be adjusted again. That would have threw up a red flag with me. Why wouldn't the seller make sure the valves were adjusted properly and the engine was running good before the sale. This to me says the seller knew it was running poor and upon inspection of the valves he knew there was a problem. Reason why pulling engine and selling. And being dishonest and saying runs good just needs valves adjusted "again".
shortthrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
jeep1993
Not Yet Wild

Next time I will do a actual visit for the items I buy is all. I have alot more invested than I really wanted to and dont even really care to keep the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha