lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
33ppp
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for G1 Modifications

Hello Everyone,
I have inherited a 1986 Yamaha G1 which has been garaged its entire life. My question is since there isnt much available to customize this cart is it worth doing anything to it? I am looking to make it fit my needs. I want to add a dump bed to it. I dont see one offered for the G1. Is it easy enough to fab up one of them to fit this model? Also there is a 4 inch body kit listed for about $99 or a suspension lift for $300. The $99 kit says you can use 20 inch tires and the $300 suspension kit says that 22 inch tires are a must. I'm thinking the $99 kit and 20 inch tires since they are much cheaper am I missing something on the suspension lift?. I want to add lights as well. I really want to add a dump bed. Has anyone found an easy way to add one?
33ppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Looking for G1 Modifications

Welcome to BGW!

You get what you pay for. Suspension is something you don't want to cheap out on, IMO.

This is what I would be looking at. http://www.jakesliftkits.com/liftkit...T%20YA1%2079G1

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I agree, the suspension is the most critical modification to get right. Alot of people fab their own lift kits, some buy off the shelf kits. I bought the Jakes 6" kit for my G1 and was impressed at the quality and ease of installation, however I was not impressed with the design being a single a arm setup. I have since went to an atv front end and absolutely love it. It wasn't easy, but well worth it.

Another area is performance. Some have put bigger carbs and Banshee atv exhaust on, some have retrofit an Enticer 250 engine in and retained reverse. I am in the process of bolting the Enticer 250 jug, piston, and head with a Bravo 250 float style carb. The parts are a bolt on fit and should yield a decent hp gain.

The dump beds can be fabbed to fit. I would buy a used one if you can find one. Some people use an old yard trailer type dump cart and make mounts to fit, that's what mine is. It works pretty good.

Search the forum here and you'll get lots of ideas.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
BigEd358
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree as well. Go with a good quality lift kit. I put the Jakes 6" lift on my '79 G1. Don't forget to check ebay for aftermarket lightweight dump bodies. There is no end to the items available to modify your G1. Decide what you want and go for it.
BigEd358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
33ppp
Not Yet Wild

If I put the Jakes 6 inch suspension lift on it do I have to change the tire and rim assembly right away or can I retain the stock tires and rims until I find an aftermarket set? I have used the search feature and found it to be very helpful. The G1 stuff is hard to find ad sort out. The dump bed/kit is a definite item I want. Engine mods are something I dont usually have luck with as a rule. I really want to put headlights and brake lights on it as well. Thanks again for the help. This is by far the best forum for info.
33ppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some lifts don't fit under 10" wheels, you have to ask the seller. Its usually because the spindle area is changed and will hit there. If you don't mind the noise and smell G1 is a great cart built like a tank, try to find some cars that age. Certainly the best cart ever made for its time. They will go quite fast stock, but lifted do not have much more power than other carts. All the mods are here someplace. Start out with a tuneup and make sure your clutches are in good working order and belt is fresh.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have a used 6" kit with spindles and tie rods ready to go if you are interested. I changed to an atv front end and am not using it anymore.

As far as the search function....yeah I had some trouble too. Here's what I did. Search specific things in quotations like "G1 lift" or "G1 dump bed" or "G1 wheels", you'll have better results that way. Save the threads you like in your favorites on you browser toolbar.

Here's some of my favs....

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...maha-lift.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...uild-pics.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ting-cart.html
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, g1 yamaha, lift kit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha