lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 Rear End Issues

I need a little help. I just did some work on the cart, and now am experiencing a problem. I changed the secondary spring again and changed the rear end fluid. I put 75W 90 gear oil in during the work. Now the cart seams to be bogging, like it's not shifting properly or the rear end is not working properly. Also when I drive the cart it sometimes feels as if it jumps out of gear under load. I filled the rear end until the fluid flowed out of the hole. I also had the body off for repainting, but reassembled everything without any changes. I'm leaving tomorrow for a trip with the cart, so any answers are greatly appreciated.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Rear End Issues

If it helps any I put synthetic blend Wal Mart brand 75W 90 gear oil in. It said on the bottle for topping off differential rear ends. Does that mean that I shouldn't have used that for the complete filling of the rear end? I know that some cars need an additive when using all synthetic gear oil.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have an update. When the cart is cold it does not have any issues. As I drive it and the cart warms up, the problems begin. It seems to jerk in and out of gear in a pattern according to how I drive the cart. Also the shifter is not moving out of gear when this is happening. I jacked the cart up and ran it in gear but the engine and clutches seem to be working fine. No belt jump or anything else that could make this problem happen.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

first thing i would check on this would be the vent. heat and pressure buildup causing hydraulic pressure on the govorner , and second im not sure that you fill these rear ends all the way up , if another member can chime in on this i think these need headroom to work correctly
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Maybe you dropped the little woodruff key on the helix working on the spring and it is slipping.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I had no idea that there was a vent on the rear end. Where is it located? I'm not sure if the woodruff key is slipping. Is there a way to check that? Unfortunately I don't have the tools to pull off the sheave and reinstall it. Any ideas on cleaning out the vent? Tomorrow morning I'm going to pull out the rear end fluid and put fresh in to see if any residual synthetic fluid may be causing the problems. Any help with the vent and woodruff key is appreciated. Thanks for the help low buck and doomsman.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I forgot to add that I filled the rear end until the fluid came out of the hole. It was about half of a quart. The manual says .42 quarts if I remember correctly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha