lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
Koetz13
Not Yet Wild

Default Regen motor coupler replacement?

I have a 2014 electric Yamaha. I’ve only had it about a month and am new to owning a golf cart. It started making a grinding noise in the rear which seems to be coming from the motor. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and everything seems to point to a rubber grommet needing replaced, I am waiting for a new one to come in. I have also read that replacing it is a short term fix and the noise comes back in a few months. The splines in the coupler look wore down, so my question is can that coupler be replaced and if so where can you get it? I cannot find it anywhere.
Part 2: if I’m better off replacing the motor to keep this problem from coming back, what is recommended?
Thank you for any input and help.
(P.S. I have a green tag axle.)
Koetz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Regen motor coupler replacement?

Unless you are broke AF, don't spend money on the stock Hitachi motor. I have used a few FSIP speedey motor, and like it, seems pretty heavy duty. They claim it will work on the stock controller, but I never tried it on stock controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Dan33Klein
Getting Wild

Yes you will need to replace your coupler at the minimum. Mine was wore a lot and so was the input shaft.
You can start with the grommet. If that doesn’t help then move onto the coupler.
They are pressed on and you either need to make a “puller” or send it into a shop to replace it.

As CG said the hitachi motors aren’t very good at all to begin with. Not really worth dumping money into it. But that’s your choice.
Dan33Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Koetz13
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the help. I was wanting to upgrade the motor anyway just not right away.
Koetz13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 yamaha drive, motor grinding noise, yamaha g29
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha