lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default 2005 EZGO TXT - Smoking

I have a 2005 EZGO TXT that runs great, but it smokes. It definitely smells like it is burning oil. I just had a tuneup done and it looked like the filled it too full. I am guessing this is the cause? Any good way to drain a little out to stop the smoking? If I drain all the oil, how much should I put in it. It is not lifted.
yler4cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2005 EZGO TXT - Smoking

Also, any recommendations on what oil to get?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Drain it, clean the oil filter (screen) and use a quality 10w30 oil. Should take about 1.5 quarts. Then take it for a good long drive to burn off whatever may be in there. IF after about a 20-30 minute drive the smoke has not significantly decreased (or stopped completely) there is probably something else going on that needs to be looked further into.

As for which specific oil, that's a loaded question if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 difference answers. I use the wal-mart brand synthetic in everything I own and have had great results, plus it's cheap.

Should take in about 1.5 quarts, depending on exactly how much you get drained out when you drain it. I'm not a fan of how these motors drain oil, the drain plug is difficult to get to, the oil filter is much quicker, and it creates quite a mess on the skid plate either way. I just drain it through the oil filter because you gotta pull it to clean it anyway.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
yler4cy
Gone Wild

Great! Thanks CP241!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

It don't make a mess if you jack the cart up on the right side. Gets all the oil out also. If the oil was just changed the loosen the three oil filter bolts and drain some oil out until it shows correct on oil stick. If it has a lift kit installed then drain it all out in clean pan and measure exactly 1.5 quarts to add back. No sense wasting new oil .

I use the Walmart brand regular 10w 30 oil unless I rebuild the engine then I use the synthetic.

Maybe I am old school but I was always taught to never use
synthetic in engines that had regular oil in it to begin with.

You might get lucky by it being over filled. Good luck
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
It don't make a mess if you jack the cart up on the right side. Gets all the oil out also. If the oil was just changed the loosen the three oil filter bolts and drain some oil out until it shows correct on oil stick. If it has a lift kit installed then drain it all out in clean pan and measure exactly 1.5 quarts to add back. No sense wasting new oil .

I use the Walmart brand regular 10w 30 oil unless I rebuild the engine then I use the synthetic.

Maybe I am old school but I was always taught to never use
synthetic in engines that had regular oil in it to begin with.

You might get lucky by it being over filled. Good luck
That's a great idea, never thought about jacking it up on the right side.

As for switching from conventional to synthetic... the story behind this that Synthetic oil (brand dependent of course) has more detergents than conventional oil. (Some conventional oils have a lot of detergents so technically could cause the same issues as switching to synthetic). If conventional oil use for years and years has sludged up, and rubber seals in the motor are questionable, the sludge may be the only thing keeping the seals from leaking. So switching to synthetic "could" clean the sludge and create oil leaks. The worst case scenario would be valve stem seals leaking, which aren't very difficult to replace in these motors. In a car, it can definitely be a good bit more labor intensive.

Otherwise synthetic can be of nothing but benefit to the engine. Especially in these small engines, the synthetic holds up better under the higher heat conditions in an air-cooled small engine. Especially on a cold start to get the oil to the top of the motor where the cam rides in the journal of the head without a bearing (I still have absolutely no idea how oil is supposed to get in there... but I guess it must lol)

That's just my opinion, and I run synthetic in everything I own. But as I said, everybody has their own preference and none of them are wrong, as long as the oil is changed regularly
Old 04-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I see no advantage to using anything other than just oil. I go to walmart and get disgusted with all the types of oil. High mileage which I don't have a clue what the heck it is other than just oil. Synthetic blend , synthetic
I just get the cheapest I can find. I still got a few cans of Union 76 30 weight plain old oil here in my shop from the 60's. The oil I have is older than most of you lol
I even got some snake oil I can sell you Heck spray it on the ezgo pulser coils to make em fire again
Old 04-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I even got some snake oil I can sell you Heck spray it on the ezgo pulser coils to make em fire again

How many cans do you have? I'll take it all!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I will have to check. Hot item here in central ala
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO