lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo 2003 2Cyl Robin 295CC weak acceleration

Hello all I got a gas ezgo in the shop I'm putting together. It has the 2 cylinder Robin and I replaced the ignition coil, carb, fuel pump, all fuel lines and did a full tune up.

After all the work I crank it up and it runs! Yay, but the issue is on acceleration I can have the pedal floored and the cart just starts to slowly accelerate and back fire slightly and eventually will kick in and get up to speed and run powerful.

I'm looking for any advice as to what could cause weak/slow Accel like this. I compression tested both cylinders and they are showing great compression and the cart will run strong randomly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
david101193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Ezgo 2003 2Cyl Robin 295CC weak acceleration

Sounds like a carb issue. Did you use an oem carb or aftermarket? If you still have the OEM xarb, take it apart, clean it out really well and then try that and see how it does.

Worth checking valve adjustment also, but that would be a more consistent failure not erratic. Doesnt hurt to check them and be sure though.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And check to make sure the cable running from the governor to the carb is working properly and moving freely. If that cable is binding it can screw with it too.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

i have had bad ing. coils do that if you can swap on another to try its an easy fix.we get some bad ones from china but have had bad oem too.carts will run fine once you get it going,but may run hotter than normal
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartpartsplusman View Post
i have had bad ing. coils do that if you can swap on another to try its an easy fix.we get some bad ones from china but have had bad oem too.carts will run fine once you get it going,but may run hotter than normal
I have had the same problem with aftermarket coils. Just wouldn't take the gas if you hit it hard, otherwise it ran good.
It could be lean like CP241 said. The tube under main jet is almost impossible to clean without ultrasonic cleaning. I never been able to get that one out.
New OEM carburetor other is other option.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sounds like a carb issue. Did you use an oem carb or aftermarket? If you still have the OEM xarb, take it apart, clean it out really well and then try that and see how it does.

Worth checking valve adjustment also, but that would be a more consistent failure not erratic. Doesnt hurt to check them and be sure though.
It's an aftermarket red hawk carb. The carb that was on it was completely gunked up from sitting and has already been disposed of unfortunately. The motor seems as if it's getting fuel though, because it will backfire it back out randomly as the cart is puttering.
I did the valve adjustment and the 2 center valves were extra tight so now all are within .004 spec cold. No change really.

The next thing I noticed is that the spark coming from the ignition coil is orange and slightly sporatic on the arc. Shouldn't the spark be a consistent arc? Also shouldn't the spark be much hotter than just an orange spark? I feel like the carts weakness is somewhere in the spark side. Possibly the ignitor? Or the pulsar coil? Still working on it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
david101193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO