lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 Club Cart DS won't crank...wont do anything.

Hey folks...

Long time lurker, first time poster!!!!

So we recently took possession of a 2000 DS for my son's birthday. It hadn't any good maintenance done on it in a while, so I changed the engine and differential oil, installed new fuel filters and carburator. The thing was running like a dream...probably good as new.

Then all of sudden, it seemed to start stalling. A couple times we were able to start it back up again, to get it home, but now it won't do anything.

Based on online videos, I've replaced the micro switches in the control box, and even got a new solenoid. The old solenoid would click, so I figured it was still good, but I replaced it anyway. Even charged the battery to 100% although I'm not sure how old the battery is.

So what happens is I put it in service mode, turn the key, push down on the gas pedal, hear the solenoid click...and nothing. The engine doesn't make any noise whatsoever. It doesn't even try to start.

I'm leaning now toward the starter generator, but I'm not too well versed in small motors, and not sure where to turn next.

Does anyone have any idea what else it could be? Could be something as simple as the battery???

Please help. My son is having his teenage fits bugging me to get it fixed.

Thank you.
-A
ooshnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
buggyAl
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2000 Club Cart DS won't crank...wont do anything.

Might try a simple test. Jump across the 2 large terminals on the solenoid. That should send power to the starter to see if it spins. It seems like there are many small tests to track down the issue.
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyAl View Post
Might try a simple test. Jump across the 2 large terminals on the solenoid. That should send power to the starter to see if it spins. It seems like there are many small tests to track down the issue.
Thanks. So just connect to the large terminals with a wire and try and start?
Old 06-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
1arunem
Gone Wild

Or 'jump' with a screwdriver (lay across the two terminals).
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
Or 'jump' with a screwdriver (lay across the two terminals).
Be prepared, if it does spin the starter there may be a big spark.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Be prepared, if it does spin the starter there may be a big spark.
Thanks for the advice fellas. Unfortunately there is no change. The solenoid clicks, but that's it.

I'm going to go through each wire and make sure non have been rotted out or disconnected, but what else could next on the list to check?
Old 06-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Whats your battery voltage?
If the solenoid clicks, need to check for battery voltage at least 10V reaching the starter gen on the White cable.
If you have that make sure the Black Ground cable or ground strap from the starter gen has a clean connection to chassis ground, and is not burned or corroded at the post of the starter gen.

Most likely the S/G needs new brushes and can be repaired if it's a Club Car original S/G.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Whats your battery voltage?
If the solenoid clicks, need to check for battery voltage at least 10V reaching the starter gen on the White cable.
If you have that make sure the Black Ground cable or ground strap from the starter gen has a clean connection to chassis ground, and is not burned or corroded at the post of the starter gen.

Most likely the S/G needs new brushes and can be repaired if it's a Club Car original S/G.
Thanks man. I have a multimeter, but am unsure exactly where to touch the red and black multimeter wires. Just a ground anywhere and the white cable?
Old 06-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Preferably Black lead to Battery negative, and red lead to the post where the White cable attaches on the S/G. Press the pedal so the solenoid clicks.

Before doing that, one the back of the FnR lever there's a little yellow wheel with 3 raised notches. Pull that ou, and spin it 180° and let it snap back in. Leave the shift lever in Neutral, and now it's in Maintenance mode so you can test it in neutral without it driving away on you if it just so happens to start this time around.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Preferably Black lead to Battery negative, and red lead to the post where the White cable attaches on the S/G. Press the pedal so the solenoid clicks.

Before doing that, one the back of the FnR lever there's a little yellow wheel with 3 raised notches. Pull that ou, and spin it 180° and let it snap back in. Leave the shift lever in Neutral, and now it's in Maintenance mode so you can test it in neutral without it driving away on you if it just so happens to start this time around.

Ok so I connected multimeter to battery and got 12.8V. I then connected the red multimeter lead to the post on the S/G where the white cable connects (as shown in attached pic) and got 0 volts.

So what does this mean now? Bad battery or bad S/G?

Thank you for your advice so far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4297.jpg (132.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car