lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
Blacksheepkustoms
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad charger?

So, I have a 93 Club Car 36v cart. Old style . I put 6 brand new batteries ( Interstate) in it this past spring. I have noticed the last few weeks that I get on about the 16th hole at the golf course and it starts losing power. I went there the other day, and measures pack voltage after cart was charged. It showed 38v. Then, I unhooked each battery and tested them. I get an average of 6.3v per,battery . None are,right at 6v or below 6.2v. Then, I load tested each one ,and they all showed weak , but good. I have the old crows foot connector and an,old style,charger that uses a timer. I have always set it on 2.5 hours after playing 18 holes. Could,my charger possibly not,be putting,out,enough?
Blacksheepkustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Bad charger?

I'm not an expert so hopefully one will chime in but I don't think 2.5 hours on charge after 18 holes is long enough to fully charge your batteries. I am not familiar with your charger, what is the longest setting on the timer?
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Based on the comment about the cart being sluggish at the end of the day I would say You have used considerably more AH from those 6v batteries than the less than 50 amps You are returning to them, that is assuming your charger is putting out 20 amps.

Set it for 8 hours and check the current after about 5 hours, if it is down to 4 amps or less you can reduce the timer setting.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Blacksheepkustoms
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Based on the comment about the cart being sluggish at the end of the day I would say You have used considerably more AH from those 6v batteries than the less than 50 amps You are returning to them, that is assuming your charger is putting out 20 amps.

Set it for 8 hours and check the current after about 5 hours, if it is down to 4 amps or less you can reduce the timer setting.
Well, I went ahead and brought the cart home so I could,check it. With the charger running, the wire from the receptacle to the battery is getting,hotter than hell. May be a break,in the wire,not,letting the charger do what it,needs to do.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheepkustoms View Post
Well, I went ahead and brought the cart home so I could,check it. With the charger running, the wire from the receptacle to the battery is getting,hotter than hell. May be a break,in the wire,not,letting the charger do what it,needs to do.
Most likely the batteries calling for all that charger can put out - like Sergio said. You have been undercharging for some time. Time to get a better automatic smart charger if you are to save those batts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Most likely the batteries calling for all that charger can put out - like Sergio said. You have been undercharging for some time. Time to get a better automatic smart charger if you are to save those batts.
Like he said.....you spend the money now on a good charger or keep replacing batteries $$$$$$ (6 of them). Cheaper in the long run and you are not left walking on the 15th hole.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Blacksheepkustoms
Not Yet Wild

Well guys, heres the deal. It has been running great for 6 months, charging at the same rate( time). Always able to play 36 holes in one day, no problem. The issue just started about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I think I may have a loose ground at the back of the receptacle, or a thin spot somewhere in the wires from the receptacle to the battery. I was also told by the battery supplier not to charge for,more than 3 hours, because the charger I have would boil the water right,out of them.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheepkustoms View Post
I was also told by the battery supplier not to charge for,more than 3 hours, because the charger I have would boil the water right,out of them.
he told you wrong .... VERY wrong
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

When charging you need to replace the energy that was consumed, actually about 10%-20% more depending on how it is charged since the process is not 100% efficient.

A typical 6v battery has around 200AH of capacity, so if your charger puts out 20 amps and the batteries were totally discharged, it would take over 10 hours to charge.

Since You have a timer, hopefully You have a ferro resonant type charger with the big capacitor inside.

Does the charger have a working amp meter that you can verify it is starting the charge at a high rate (max output) and dropping as the battery charges?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
he told you wrong .... VERY wrong
VERY VERY wrong.

I would get an automatic charger and forget about using that one. Great investment considering the cost of batteries.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car