lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Relay

I keep seeing a relay with some numbers on it in various schematic drawings. My cart had nothing and I am pretty sure I need one of those

Can someone point me in the right direction and let me know what I need to get, please?

Thank you!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Relay

A relay for what? On what cart? The cart listed in your signature is far from stock. Are you working on something else? If so, what?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you for the reply, Dave. I've been pointed in the direction by a few folks that all mentioned that I need the relay (folks with similar-not exact-carts). My build is slow (I just don't have a lot of time to stay on it like I would like) so I act on this as time presents itself.

Here is a pic that includes of what I "think" I need; if you have it and I need it I will place the order!

Thank you again!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC Relay.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Thank you for the reply, Dave. I've been pointed in the direction by a few folks that all mentioned that I need the relay (folks with similar-not exact-carts). My build is slow (I just don't have a lot of time to stay on it like I would like) so I act on this as time presents itself.

Here is a pic that includes of what I "think" I need; if you have it and I need it I will place the order!

Thank you again!!
So you're wanting a relay to turn on and off a voltage reducer?
Old 12-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well that is what is confusing me! The voltage reducer does not show the need for it in their diagram but it has come up a couple of times. In the drawing provided, why is it there?
Old 12-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Well that is what is confusing me! The voltage reducer does not show the need for it in their diagram but it has come up a couple of times. In the drawing provided, why is it there?
Which reducer do you have?
Old 12-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It is not absolutely needed to have the relay.
The relay will disconnect the voltage reducer from the batteries when the Key switch is off to eliminate any battery drain.
If your voltage reducer has 5 wires it probably has an internal relay triggered by the 5th wire to control the 48v input.
If the wiring diagram and relay you have has 4 wires an external relay would be needed to control the battery input.
If you add an external relay be sure it is rated for 48v.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you, guys (and my apologies for the delay to reply-worked all day again yesterday and got home late and too beat to check in).

My reducer is the 5 wire that I bought from you, Dave (2002?).
Old 12-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Thank you, guys (and my apologies for the delay to reply-worked all day again yesterday and got home late and too beat to check in).

My reducer is the 5 wire that I bought from you, Dave (2002?).
The VOLT-2002 does not require a relay to turn it on and off. It has a wire just for this purpose. Look at the schematic that came with your reducer and it will show you how to hook it up.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you, Dave! I have it wired up properly but kept seeing this relay shown places and it got me wondering! First cart newbie, and it came with nothing so I am doing my best to try and figure this all out! No real schematic (that I can find anyway!) that applies to what I am trying to achieve (and electric is not my strongest trade!) so I am moving forward cautiously and trying to get a firm grasp of everything!

I love the reducer that I got from you, am thankful that I don't have to buy a relay, and appreciate all of your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car