lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
texczech
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 TXT 2PG constant run

I would like to get this cart to idle and not shut off on decel. I'm sure this has been discussed to the max, but I am willing to try this conversion. I can bypass the throttle switch and I think it keeps running, but the starter/generator will kick in. How would I go about doing this? I know I may not like the result, if I get this conversion done, but I can change it back. Thanks for any advice & info!
texczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 TXT 2PG constant run

What do you wish to accomplish?

It's not a car, and making it idle serves no real purpose. The engine was not designed to idle.

Ok, let's get into the logistics of it.
The starter generator doesn't "kick in". It constantly turns while the engine is running. It's belt driven. There is no bendix. That's why it's a starter, and a generator. It generates DC voltage to charge the battery, and run the circuits. That's why golf carts have continuous duty solenoids too.

The carburetor.
The carburetor has no idle circuit. That means the only possible thing to do is to adjust the throttle plate to not completely close. It's the same as holding a little pressure on the pedal. By doing so, you ruin the driveability of the cart. By not closing the throttle plate all the way, you will induce backfiring that blows out the crankshaft seals.

Clutches
Your 87 cart is a 2 stroke. The engine direction is changed electrically, not mechanically.
That means you can't put your rear end into neutral to idle. Your cart will move. If you put the brake on, the drive clutch will still spin against the drive belt, and ruin it.

Short answer..... Don't.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
texczech
Not Yet Wild

I see now. Without an idle circuit this is already a sinking ship. I didn't know about the idle screw, seems that these units have back firing issues. Can you elaborate on how to set the carb so as not to cause backfires? I will have to be satisfied with the way this was built. Thanks for giving me the info!
Old 12-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There are two ways to do it depending on which throttle cable you have. I will have pictures when I get home in the morning.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This thread shows the two different throttle cables. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...07#post1738207

My two pictures show a fixed sleeve with the spring from an ink pen slid over the throttle cable. That spring prevents backfiring.

The picture that Dabble Inn posted has a floating sleeve with a bigger spring against the mounting bracket. It does the same thing in a slightly different way.

Let us know which throttle cable you have.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by texczech View Post
I would like to get this cart to idle and not shut off on decel.
I'm not understanding your reasoning yet on why you'd want it to idle? Backfiring maybe?

But I will say this;
IF everything is adjusted correctly (throttle cable/throttle plate in sync with gas pedal/micro switches) it shouldn't shut down spark during decel unless you let off the gas pedal completely, and it shouldn't backfire either even if you do.

Could it be for quick stop and go's?
I can pull up to a stop sign but never completely let off the gas pedal. Meaning, I ever so slightly leave enough pressure on the gas pedal just to keep the micro switch activated to prevent it from dropping the spark. It's kind of an idle but mostly running off the starter so not enough rpm to engage the clutch, and no possible chance for a backfire but I sometimes do it for a way to take off quicker in heavy traffic. It's probably not a recommended practice though so Shhhh, don't tell CA above lol... Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

Short answer..... Don't.
Good advice.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
texczech
Not Yet Wild

I am not sure what to look for in the 2 pictures of the throttle cable end and spring when/where it contacts the throttle arm. What is the difference? Thanks for responding!
Old 12-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Look at the picture posted by Dabble Inn. Do you have that big spring on the forward side of the mount bracket? If not, we move on to adjusting the other type of cable.

It would be easier if you post a picture of your carburetor.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:30 AM   #10
texczech
Not Yet Wild

I will try to post a picture if I can. This is a part time project that is moving slowly .If I can figure out how to post a picture I will. And Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO