lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
charles4400
Not Yet Wild

Default 7 Wire Turn Signal... Ground Help

I have this 7 wire turn signal unit, but cannot get it to work. It looks like this:

I am pretty sure this is a ground issue as while using a dmm to check voltage I am getting 12-12.9 v dc reading where I am supposed to but only when I put the dmm probe on the ground wire of my 12v converter. Without the neg probe on the 12 v converter ground I do not get a reading.

I have connected everything in the instructions as they should other than a brake switch which I don't yet have.

The instructions say that I should remove paint from the steering column to provide a good ground by the clamp. But the clamp only touches the main unit's body which is made of plastic, I don't see how this could be used as ground. There is no dedicated ground wire.

Has anyone installed this and got it working?

Here's the instructions and diagram below:

Any thoughts?
charles4400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
charles4400
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 7 Wire Turn Signal... Ground Help

So I found out that this turn signal unit was mislabeled by the manufacturer and was designed for early club car models 1985+. Apparently there is no ground wire because they wanted you to ground the unit to the frame supposedly by having the metal strap ground to the steering wheel column. Still don't understand that concept as the metal strap only touches the plastic housing of the turn signal.

Anyways getting a new 8 wire turn signal sent in with separate ground wire for my electric cart.

Figured I'd post In case anyone else has this problem.
charles4400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha