lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
JamieK
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax upgrade speed issues

Good evening/morning everyone,
Having an issue with my 2014 EzGo TXT48. The old controller was only letting the cart go about 9mph (using phone gps). I upgraded the controller because I have a backseat kit, 20.5ish" tall tires, and do eventually plan to upgrade the motor. I installed the alltrax 500a controller, a 400amp solenoid, and 2g wire kit. I meticulously followed the wiring diagram from Alltrax only to find out that it went forward with the reverse buzzer going off. A quick continuity tester of the FNR switch showed that i had plugged the switch back in backwards and the terminal for F is not behind the F... Lesson learned.

Now I have the reverse horn going off with the switch in the R and it not going off with the switch in F. All is well, except now the cart goes backwards in F and forwards in R. I learn that the Alltrax wiring diagram has the field wires backwards, switch it and now the direction is correct... lesson #2 learned, I think. Either way, I swapped the field wires and now the direction is correct.

With everything back together, it still does 10mph, granted much quicker getting there but no top speed was increased. Another interesting note is that it goes just slightly faster, 11 (lol) in reverse. I am waiting for my laptop to charge to get a datalog but it doesn't sound like the motor is spooling all of the way up. My question with the motor is with the same motor and axle, will the speed be the same if I put 250a to it or 400a to it? Is it a fixed ratio.

Could there be a problem with the speed sensor on the motor only letting it run at half speed? Is there a way to bypass the sensor for testing purposes and would it matter because of the fixed ratio as mentioned above?

I reached out to the person I bought the cart from and he stated that it was the "stock motor rewound for more power." I'm not exactly sure what all that entails. Once I get my laptop charged up I will get a datalog. The person I bought the controller from has been more than helpful and I will pick his brain also. In the mean time, any quick thoughts or experiences that may be helpful? I'm not looking for a 30mph cart but more than 10 would be fantastic.
Thanks
Jamie
JamieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
JamieK
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax upgrade speed issues

So a quick update. In my settings, the speed sensor is selected "on" however the controller isn't seeing speed from the motor. I unchecked the box and the cart hauls. So I may have answered my question. Any harm in leaving the box unchecked for a while? Taking it camping in the toy hauler this week and don't really want to blow it up.
j
Old 10-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The key piece of information was the motor re-wound or re-worked. Offen this modification results in a loss of the motor speed sensor function which is why the Alltrax thought the speed sensor was broken thus putting the cart into limp mode.
You can run the cart with the rpm limit turned off. There is no danger to the cart except the motor may fail catastrophically if over revved like when going as afast as mortally possible down a big hill - Kaboom! motor comes apart and seizes, rear wheels lock up at 25-30 mph, cart skids to a stop upright, if lucky.
Personally I would sell that motor and get one that will work with the Alltrax. The Alltrax will allow the stock motor to reach 22-23mph safely on stock tires.

I hope this helps - PS
I have given up trying to tell Alltrax the field wires are reversed the engineers say some motors blah blah blah, and I say but it's not the motors 80% of your customers have!? I think they have 65 million more copies of the misprinted instruction booklet left
Enjoy the ride.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
JamieK
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ScottyB,
I think that is exactly what I'm going to do, sell it and work from a known variable. The motor does have the three wires coming from the drivers side of the motor but I'm getting to the point where I really don't feel like pinning it out or putting that much effort into a stock motor. I have the stock controller, solenoid, and now a motor that I could probably list as a package for someone looking to bring their cart back to stock to sell or something. Who knows. I do know that I am tired of tinkering with it and ready to have some cruising fun.

hopefully, someone searching will gain some use from this thread and Alltrax has a compatibility list. It's going to be a new cart soon.

Thanks, Jamie.
PS ScottyB, I sent you an email. You can disregard, you saw everything here. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by JamieK; 10-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: grammar n spellins
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO