lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Battery charging

I have a question about charging my batteries (48V/6 8V).
I charge my batteries at least once per week when not using cart and each time I use it i put on charge after using. The past 3 weeks when I put on charge the charger doesn't automaticly cut off. I am showing 54.8v on my dash meter which is where it normally shuts off. The water in the batteries is full as should be and I hear the batteries gurgling while on charge.
When I use the cart everything works as normal and the charge stays up with normal decrease based on distance traveled.
My question is, are my batteries getting weak (they are 4 years old) or is my charger malfunctioning? How can I check to identify problem.
Thanks for all replies.
Kartcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Battery charging

What charger do you have?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

Clubcar Powerdrive3. It came with the cart. 2012 Clubcar precedent.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

It's been charging for 8 hours and has not cut off. Normal charging time is 4 to 6 hours if the batteries are low after a lot of use.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is the water level in all the batteries good?
If the max voltage is only getting to 54v the OBC is not going to shut off.
The pack needs to get to 58.3v for the OBC to recognize that the pack is reaching a full charge. If it's not able to charge them that high it will run alot longer than normal, and may not shut off at all.

If this is a recent development, have you a added or changed anything electrical to the cart recently? New lights, radio, fan, changed any wiring, or installed new battery cables?
Old 03-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

Water is good in all batteries.
Only reachs 54.8
Nothing added or changed
Charged weekly used or not but always charged after every use.
Batteries did get very low coming back from long ride last October but charged right up and has been working fine and charging fine since until yesterday when I put them on charge. I rode it about a mile today and had no problems. voltage only dropped to 50.1. Put on charger and it has charged for 9 hours and won't shut off. Voltage goes to 54.8 and stayes there.
I topped off the water around Christmas and it was not really low in any of the batteries. I have Powertro batteries and they are about 4 years old, but I have been very attentive to keep them maintained.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Somethings not right with one battery I think. Where is the amp needle on the charger during this? Is it sitting around 5amps or is it lower?
Check the voltage of each battery while it's charging, and then unplug the charger and check each one again sometime tomorrow after they have come back to rest voltage.
Write down the On charge, and At rest voltage for each battery so they can be compared. They should all be pretty close to each other, within about 0.1V ideally. If they're more than 0.5v apart that's a bad sign.

After checking rest voltage take the cart for a ride, about 15-20 minutes, then check each battery again while the cart is driving, so you can see what their voltage is under load.

If they're all close to the same voltage during each of those tests, then unhook the pack negative for bout 10 minutes so the OBC resets. Hook the negative back up and plug the charger in and let it charge and see if it then goes above 54v. It should be getting the pack up to around 60v at some point during the charging process.
It sounds like one or possibly two batteries are failing and their voltage is coming up higher than the rest during charging, which could be forcing the OBC into the next phase before the other batteries are reaching a full charge.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

Fairtax4me, Thank you!! I will do that tomorrow for sure. Great info, much appreciated!!
Old 03-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

OK checked all batteries this AM after resting over night. Readings on all batteries was 8.32 to 8.36. Plugged in charger and checked charge voltage and it read 56.8 on each battery. I disconnected the ground and waited 15 minutes and reinstalled ground. Put back on charge, checked battery voltage and it still reads 54.8 on each battery. Will let it charge for a while and see what happens.
BTW, the voltage meter on dash still reads 54.8. could be off and not a true reading.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

Charge rate went up to 58.9 and charger never cut off.
9.85v to 9.9v on batteries while charging.
After 15 minutes charger off, battery pack showing 53.1v.
Individual battery reading was 8.9 across the board.
Charge amps on charger was 4amps when I cut it off, but it had been reading that for a couple hours.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car