lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV Question

I'm going to try and explain this the best I can and hopefully it will make sense. lol

The last few times I drove my cart at night my lights and horn would cut in and out so I figured loose wiring and checked some of the wires and tightened up some wire nuts and they would come on and work pretty good.

I also upgraded chargers a couple of months ago to the lester summit 2 because my temp sensor was about to corrode and fall of the battery post and wasn't charging sometimes with old charger because of loose contact I suppose so I figured it was time i got a new charger I had been wanting.

I finally pulled the temp sensor off all the way a couple of days ago but last night the kids and I went for a ride and it stopped right in the middle of the road. The digital battery gauge was acting wired too but anyway I thought I was going to have to leave it there and the bugs were bad so the wife walked home with the kids about 1/4 mile while I stayed to try and figure it out. when i put key in neutral and put tow mode on i gave it a hard push and seen a spark at the main battery post and noticed headlight connector was corroding so i moved it around and heard some clicking noise and it finally was drivable and i got it home. The main battery terminal look like the battery itself expanded or something and now the post is tilted and corroded where battery post meets the plastic battery. Also the main positive wire from the controller or motor was pretty hot.

So would the cart act up with loose connection on the wire for the lights? I replaced the connector and seems to be ok but i didn't it drive it around when i got it home but just checked lights and to see if cart would move and it did.

or did the temp sensor coming off have something to do with this causing it to get too hot or something?
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Question

Sounds like you melted the terminal by drawing hundreds of amps through a loose connection.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

hopefully thats all it was
Old 07-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Or possibly over tightened it.. If they are tightened too much the stud will create a pocket in the post and can cause excess heat.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

could the loose contact from the light kit wiring have be the reason the cart shutdown and wouldnt move?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
could the loose contact from the light kit wiring have be the reason the cart shutdown and wouldnt move?
If the connector was on top of the large gauge cables, and if it was loose, then the entire stack of cables/wires on that terminal would also be loose. That could cause the cart to stop if the battery pack connection integrity was interrupted.

You mentioned that the connection had some corrosion and moving it around solved the light problem. Nothing on any terminal should be loose such that it can be moved.

Battery terminals are recommended to be torqued to 98-105 inch lbs.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevota Guy View Post
If the connector was on top of the large gauge cables, and if it was loose, then the entire stack of cables/wires on that terminal would also be loose. That could cause the cart to stop if the battery pack connection integrity was interrupted.

You mentioned that the connection had some corrosion and moving it around solved the light problem. Nothing on any terminal should be loose such that it can be moved.

Battery terminals are recommended to be torqued to 98-105 inch lbs.

The heavy gauge cables had good contact i believe but the light gauge cable for the light kit connector was corroding like it was about to break and fall off the post. i moved it around where it would run just to get me home and then replaced the bad connector.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO