lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #11
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 2007 EZGO TXT PDS Draining batteries!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravenspop View Post
Just had my son take readings , cart has been off the charger for 19 hours now with no use
1-6.30v
2-6.27v
3-6.26v
4-6.28v
5-6.31v
6-6.25v
Whole Pack is 37.68v
As per the State of Charge chart that JohnnieB posted, at 37.68 volts, your pack is only about 85% charged at 19 hours after charging. Since the individual battery voltages are all within 0.06 volts of each other, all batteries appear to be about the same in a static condition ... but with a healthy battery pack / properly operating charger you should be seeing a 100% state of charge at 12 to 24 hours after charging.

Your next step to analyze your battery pack is to do a load test while driving the cart on the entire battery pack and on each individual battery. You will want to see if any of the batteries are dropping voltage more than the others when under load. Best to check each battery voltage under the same relative conditions ... either on a hard acceleration or on a hill. Jacking up the cart will NOT provide meaningful information ... and if you exceed the motor RPM limit, you risk your motor disintegrating due to excessive centrifugal force. I think some people refer to this a "grenading" a motor when this happens

There should be a date stamp on your batteries. See the attached Trojan file to help you decipher the date code.

I suspect that your battery pack is weak ... but the load testing will help you to prove that.

Attached are a few photos of the load testing lead that I made up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7775.jpg (418.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7799.jpg (370.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7801.jpg (607.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7802.jpg (373.4 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan Battery Date Codes.pdf (121.5 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #12
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help. I'll be working on performing the load test as soon as I can and will post the results, will also post the battery dates when I get them
Dravenspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here is another thread that discusses the Trojan date code:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157342
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My cart came off a 3 year lease at a golf club in Arizona and had a set of T-105 batteries that were 18 months old and would only charge to about 85%.

I did back-to-back charges on them multiple times a day starting in Jun-2011 and they were charging up to 94% in Aug-201 and up to 98% in Apr-2012 and 100% in May 2012 and were still running pretty good when I upgraded to a 42V system the following year. So I got more than an additional year's use out of batteries seemingly on their last legs.

For the first couple weeks I started a new charge 3 or 4 times a day in addition to plugging in after each use and tapered off to 2 or 3 time a day for the next month or so. Over the winter I used a charger that went into float charge after the regular charge cycle, but started a fresh charge cycle once or more time a week.

Give it a try, it might trigger some improvement.

Be sure to keep an eye on the electrolyte levels, the batteries are going to gas a lot to say the least.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #15
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Haven't had a chance to perform load test yet , will get that done in next day or so but after looking at the date stamp i found the batteries to be older than i was told, the stamp said A5 and according to the chart i believe that is January 2015 so the batteries are 5 years old. I don't know how much of that 5 years was shelf life before previous owner purchased them but I sure hope to get a little time out of them or at least not have to replace all the batteries in the pack at once. Will post again once I have completed load test and also take hydrometer readings. Thanks again for everyone's comments and help.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Haven't had a chance to perform load test yet , will get that done in next day or so but after looking at the date stamp i found the batteries to be older than i was told, the stamp said A5 and according to the chart i believe that is January 2015 so the batteries are 5 years old. I don't know how much of that 5 years was shelf life before previous owner purchased them but I sure hope to get a little time out of them or at least not have to replace all the batteries in the pack at once. Will post again once I have completed load test and also take hydrometer readings. Thanks again for everyone's comments and help.
Trojan typically postdates their batteries a few weeks to offset transport and vendor shelf time, so Jan-2015 is probably pretty close to when they were installed.
With good upkeep, cart batteries typically last in the 3 to 5 year range depending on the climate. (Map attached)

If you mix new batteries in with old batteries, the new batteries quickly acquire the age of the old batteries.

A 36V battery pack is actually a 36V battery of eighteen 2V cells connected in series and happen to come packaged in six boxes of three cells each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery life Expectancy Zones.jpg (162.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #17
Dravenspop
Not Yet Wild

Well after performing electrolyte test with hydrometer and load test it was confirmed that the batteries were toast. Replaced with 6 new batteries and its riding great. After using charger about 4 times to recharge new batteries after driving it several times now that charger has failed on me showing codes of a hardware fault, waiting to see if manufacturer will cover it under warranty but if not does anyone have any suggestions on a good 36 volt charger that wont break the bank, thanks again for all the help
Old 11-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Well after performing electrolyte test with hydrometer and load test it was confirmed that the batteries were toast. Replaced with 6 new batteries and its riding great. After using charger about 4 times to recharge new batteries after driving it several times now that charger has failed on me showing codes of a hardware fault, waiting to see if manufacturer will cover it under warranty but if not does anyone have any suggestions on a good 36 volt charger that wont break the bank, thanks again for all the help
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/lester-summit-ii.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO