lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #81
peyemp24
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Removing the original steering wheel

Nice job outbackrob. Glad it worked.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
peyemp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #82
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

I figured it would be east to remove the steering wheel based on the instructions. But it wasn’t. I beat the hell out of the wheel with a hammer and mallot and it didn’t budge a centimeter. I read a lot of the creative ideas here, but didn’t want to cut up the wheel, or buy a steering wheel puller.. So I noticed my gigantic chain link padlock. The links are each pinky size and enclosed in a cloth cover. I draped the chain over the steering pole and ripped it upward like starting a lawnmower. The steering wheel flew up in the air and landed on my Car. Glad it was plastic and didn’t leave a scratch or ding.
[/IMG]
beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #83
jb2c
Not Yet Wild

I'm installing a DoubleTake Sentry dash. I fought the steering wheel battle today too. Fortunately, Outbackrob's method worked for me. I was just about to pull out the Sawzall and go buy a new steering wheel. Thought I'd ck the board first. I'm glad I did. It was hard to get the clamps on the wheel and keep the puller centered. But once I got it and tightened down on the puller, a couple good whacks with a 2lb deadblow hammer and she popped off. I had beat the crap out of it with a rubber mallet with no effect at all. To the point the head came off the rubber mallet.

FYI, the puller rented for over $100 at Advance Auto. But you get a full refund if you return it within 45 days. So zero net cost. It was the exact same one as in outbackrob's pictures. I did have install one of the bolts that was included in the puller kit. I just threaded it into the wheel threads and centered the large bolt that goes through the puller on top of the smaller bolt. That was easier than trying to tighten down all of those clamps.

Problem now is that I've looked at those fancy new steering wheels!
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #84
725mastercraft
Not Yet Wild

We just bought a customized EZGO TXT while on vacation. It had everything we wanted but the aftermarket steering wheel. So, I bought a nice steering wheel because everything down to the new paint job screamed no more golf coarse except for the score card holder steering wheel. I couldn't stand it.

The salesman said they could install the new steering wheel for me for only 25 bucks. I was like nah... I can do it myself. He kind of gave me that look and said alright! Little did I know taking the old steering wheel off would be so difficult.

So, Here I am sitting in an RV resort with my new to us custom cart ad trying to take off the old steering wheel. I think the neighbors thought I was going to take the cart apart with all the tools I had out. I carry a lot of tools with me because you never know when a motor home will break down and you will need a tool!

So here I go, beating and banging and trying everything I knew I could do! Nothing, no amount of hammering, pulling, banging or kicking like a little screaming child wold help! So, I started to use my common sense! I looked around, what did I have that I could use to get this POS steering wheel off?

Well, I had a bottle jack and I had heavy duty tie downs. I started thinking some MacGyver stuff! I took the bottle jack and balanced it on the top of the steering shaft and nut I had already backed out to the end. I used a socket so as the lift the bottle jack high enough to rest on the shaft and not the steering wheel.

Then I wrapped the heavy duty straps around the steering wheel and the top of the bottle jack shaft. I had my 15 yo son help me balance the jack and hold the straps in place (all whilst he was telling me I was crazy).

I began to pump the jack and it started to bend the old steering wheel. I kept on pumping it higher until "POP"! The old steering wheel popped loose. The rest is history! Love the new steering wheel!
725mastercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #85
MGretz70
Not Yet Wild

I tried all of the ways I saw on You Tube, nothing worked, tried strapping a jack to it, nope nothing worked, was about to go up to the auto parts store and rent a puller, but texted my buddy in town that is a mechanic, said bring it up! Needless to say, hands down easiest way to simply get off a steering wheel if you have it, use a air hammer gun with a round tip bit, place the round tip bit on the steering wheel shaft with the nut flush to the end of the shaft, with the other arm hug the steering wheel pulling up while pressing in the air hammer gun and presto steering wheel off in less than a minute! LOL!! Course you need the Air compressor and air hammer gun and round tip bit, but was amazed he got it off so quickly after I tried for over an hour unsuccessfully!
MGretz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car