lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
KX_DAD
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V Club Car motor turns but won't move in reverse

I have a 48V Stealth 4X4 that is actually a Club Car with a s/n 6A0821. It has a D&D motor (class H if that means anything) and a 700 amp controller. The cart runs fine in forward but when I put it in reverse, the motor just spins and the cart doesn't move. If I put it in 4 wheel drive, it will move in reverse which leads me to believe it could be in the rear differential, but I would like a professional opinion before I tear into that!. Also, the first time it done this was right after I used the cart to pull a drag around the baseball field for about 20 mins. I have used the cart for alot more than this and never had an issue but I thought is was worth mentioning. I haven't been registered long enough to post a link, but I put a short video on youtube, for this thread, of what it's doing. Just search "48V Club Car won't move in reverse"

I have searched for 2 days on this with no luck....I'm stumped on this one and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
KX_DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48V Club Car motor turns but won't move in reverse

(QUOTE) .... The cart runs fine in forward but when I put it in reverse, the motor just spins and the cart doesn't move...

Well if what you said is correct while strange it has to be in the rear end... Where and what else could it be?

(1) Does not sound like it could be the motor to diff spline coupling; I would think if it were striped it would not work either direction.

(2) The diff gears are just that gear to gear mesh engagement for the transfer of power; so they either work or don't work.

(3) The only thing I can think of is going to be that the clutch pack in the diff is working one direction and is slipping in the other....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
KX_DAD
Not Yet Wild

Thanks....I've never had a golf cart differential apart. Is there any special tools that I'll need?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX_DAD View Post
Thanks....I've never had a golf cart differential apart. Is there any special tools that I'll need?
Only special tool that I'm aware of is a pair of large 90 degree snap-ring pliers for removing the axles. The snap ring is seen behind the brake shoes and holds the axle and bearing in the tube...

As you say your cart is a Stealth 4x4 your differential may not be a stock CC unit either; it could very well be an aftermarket limited-slip unit too...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
KX_DAD
Not Yet Wild

It looks like a stock differential. I put the cart on jack stands and pressed the pedal and the driver's side wheel would spin but I could stop it with my foot pretty easily. When I did, the passenger wheel would spin. If I chocked both wheels the motor would just spin. Do I need to remove the axle or can I unbolt the whole assembly from the differential case? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc.jpg (153.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

http://www.stealth4x4parts.com/products.html

You might try contacting the above link. He is a member here but I can't remember his user name.

You Stealth is quite a bit different than a regular Club Car.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Sunoco is his username...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

How come the differential looks so clean? Have you had it off already?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
KX_DAD
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info....I'll try to get a hold of Sunoco.

jjance, I haven't had it off yet....I just cleaned it up for the picture!
Old 05-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #10
KX_DAD
Not Yet Wild

I found the problem....the passenger side of the differential lock was broke. The local dealer found that it is defiantly a non standard Club Car part. It seems to be a locking differential from Silver Wolf. Sunoco, here's the pics. I also posted a pic of the drivers side for reference of what it used to look like. Let me know if you have one of these or know where I can get one. Thanks again everybody for your input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150501_122531.jpg (327.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150501_122022.jpg (172.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150501_121952.jpg (117.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150501_122108.jpg (202.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car