lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #1
JLBachs
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Origin of red wires to small solenoid post

Hello all,
I am new to carts and have an old Melex, which I was told is a Polish copy of an EZGO. It's a model 252 and the solenoid will not click when the accelerator is pressed. It will click when jumped from the large solenoid post with power. There is only one wire on the + side small post. I can look in the insulation for its connector and see that there used to be another red wire. The EZGO troubleshooting flowchart I found mentions two red wires at this connection. The wire that is present comes from the foot pedal switch. I can not find a hanging wire anywhere. Can anyone tell me where this second red wire should have came from?
Also, all of the diagnostic flowcharts I see mention either 36V at the small solenoid post, or zero voltage. I have 4. Could this be voltage drop from a bad wire or connection? If I check voltage on the wire that goes to the small post while it's unattached, it has battery voltage instead of the 4 it has when it's attached. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
JLBachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
JLBachs
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Origin of red wires to small solenoid post

Update on this - found a broken-off third post on the key switch that is hot with the key on. I do not believe it is 100% correct, but I ran a short length of primary wire from this to the + post on the solenoid and everything seems to work with no overheating of any part.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:52 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

That 252 is essentially an EZGO Marathon. It's exactly the same wiring and everything interchanges. Only exception is the motor mounting configuration and that 'band brake' they use. That was my first foray into electric golf car repair.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:11 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBachs View Post
Update on this - found a broken-off third post on the key switch that is hot with the key on. I do not believe it is 100% correct, but I ran a short length of primary wire from this to the + post on the solenoid and everything seems to work with no overheating of any part.
Are you saying the solenoid now clicks with the key, or does it click with the pedal?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #5
JLBachs
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

It clicks with the key instead of the pedal, so I have to remember to shut the key off any time it's stopped. It amazes me with all of the wiring diagrams out there that I can't find one that shows those smaller wires.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:54 AM   #6
JLBachs
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
That 252 is essentially an EZGO Marathon. It's exactly the same wiring and everything interchanges. Only exception is the motor mounting configuration and that 'band brake' they use. That was my first foray into electric golf car repair.
Thanks for the info; from the reading I could see it was an EZGO but I didn't know exactly which model - that helps. The manual I am referencing is titled, "EZGO 36V Technicians Repair Manual.pdf from mygolfbuggy.com. It is the manual that specifically states two red wires should terminate at the small pos post. Marathon isn't listed as a vehicle in it so maybe it doesn't apply. If that's the case I need to keep going on figuring out what's causing such a huge voltage drop
Old 06-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #7
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You should be able to find a wiring diagram in the stickies at the top of the ez go forum.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
JLBachs
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
You should be able to find a wiring diagram in the stickies at the top of the ez go forum.
I looked at several in there. I think what was happening was that I wanted to see a second red wire so bad that I was ignoring the fact that the diagnostic I was using simply might not be the right one for me.

Originally, since the wires that feed the foot pedal switch came from the controller, I assumed that it was part of some elaborate feedback loop and that's why I was seeing low voltage at the small post of the solenoid.

So now (and please correct me if this is wrong), I'm coming to understand that the pot is the only input for speed, and something in the wire path to the foot pedal switch is causing this 4 volt deal - either wiring, controller, or pedal switch. I was really worried about bypassing the foot pedal switch to see if it was bad because I was concerned about ruining the controller, but I'm going to have to do something.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

There should be a micro-switch that does the activation circuit for the solenoid. Seems like that's been bypassed somehow. Should be microswitch to solenoid positive, other side of microswitch goes to another micro-switch in the F/R shifter assembly, but that's normally missing in action these days. So that other wire can go to one side of the key switch, with the other side of key switch going to B+.

So the key switch on, and pedal down should make it go. Solenoid would click and car would default to 1st speed, then so on as it's further depressed.

The EZ Marathon is wired similarly to the series-TXTs/Medalists but with resistors and a contact board for an accelerator vs. solid-state controller with Inductive Throttle Sensor (ITS). It's actually a very simple circuit and one I really miss working on.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:39 AM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
There should be a micro-switch that does the activation circuit for the solenoid. Seems like that's been bypassed somehow. Should be microswitch to solenoid positive, other side of microswitch goes to another micro-switch in the F/R shifter assembly, but that's normally missing in action these days. So that other wire can go to one side of the key switch, with the other side of key switch going to B+.

So the key switch on, and pedal down should make it go. Solenoid would click and car would default to 1st speed, then so on as it's further depressed.

The EZ Marathon is wired similarly to the series-TXTs/Medalists but with resistors and a contact board for an accelerator vs. solid-state controller with Inductive Throttle Sensor (ITS). It's actually a very simple circuit and one I really miss working on.
This cart may very well have a controller. Melex I believe was the first to have a controller cart.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO