lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 EZ-GO TXTE-48V Will Not start after Charging, but runs after 10min wait

I do have dealers near me. Where I bought this cart about 6 years back.
It is a used 2010.

So what would the problem be? Gonna try to talk it out.
1. Cart charges at approx. 63V or below (we don't know this value in my cart)
2. When I unplug the charger from the cart, the cart pack voltage is approx. 54.7V
3. The cart will not run, not click when I turn the key, no forward or reverse movement.
4. Pack Voltage right after charging is 54.7V, if I let the cart sit, or turn on the lights till the voltage drains to below approx. 50.7V, the cart will run as normal.

Would it be something with a circuit that requires the pack voltage to be bellow 50.7V before it will allow operation?
Kortoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 EZ-GO TXTE-48V Will Not start after Charging, but runs after 10min wait

Just to be clear. You've had this cart for 6 years. Has it been doing this all this time? If not what did you change just before it started doing this if anything. That charger didn't come with the cart from the factory. Did you buy it and how long have you had it?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #13
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Just to be clear. You've had this cart for 6 years. Has it been doing this all this time? If not what did you change just before it started doing this if anything. That charger didn't come with the cart from the factory. Did you buy it and how long have you had it?
Bought the cart in approx. 2014. It came with a EZGO Powerwise charger. This charger was junk, it did the job until I realized its flaws. No auto trickle charge, just one charge then done, unless you manually unplug and plug it back in.

So when the batteries went bad about June last year I also replaced the charger at this time.
What is happening seems new. These symptoms started about 3 weeks ago. Once this happened a few times and the cart would not start immediately after pulling the charging plug I realized there was a problem and started down this path to figure it out.

Thanks for the help and pushing me forward.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #14
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, so charger is about a year old and been doing fine. Batteries also about a year old and basically always been charged with this charger(DPI). This is a DPI Gen IV charger and came with the EZGO triangular plug. This is a recent problem and NO recent changes or modifications to the cart and nobody has been tinkering with the controller (Curtis) programing including the dealer.
One last thing. 2010 was a change over year for EZGO. Early carts in 2010 were 36v and later were 48v. So far as you know nobody including you has put 8v batteries in a otherwise 36v cart. The problem occurs if you try to use the cart before the charger has shut off/gone into maintenance mode. If the charger has finished ---as in charged overnight and you try to use it the next day ---then all is OK. Do I have this right?

I was thinking the same as Kgsc.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #15
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok, so charger is about a year old and been doing fine.
Yes

Quote:
Batteries also about a year old and basically always been charged with this charger(DPI). This is a DPI Gen IV charger and came with the EZGO triangular plug.
Yes. However, plug is really warm when I pull it out, even after 1-2 days of charging. This is new. The plug would always be normal cold to the touch when removing for the previous year(s).

Quote:
This is a recent problem and NO recent changes or modifications to the cart and nobody has been tinkering with the controller (Curtis) programing including the dealer.
Correct, I would not know how to tinker with the controller. Not saying I would not, I just have no reason to since I am really just a user of this cart. Not an area of my life I want to add upgrades to...for now

Quote:
One last thing. 2010 was a change over year for EZGO. Early carts in 2010 were 36v and later were 48v. So far as you know nobody including you has put 8v batteries in a otherwise 36v cart.
Correct, I bought the cart unknowing any of what you said. There were qty 6, 8V batteries. As far as I know it has always been a 48V cart. Although the dealer did take it and modify with lift kit, tires, and whatever else it takes to do that.

Quote:
The problem occurs if you try to use the cart before the charger has shut off/gone into maintenance mode.
I am not certain this is an accurate statement. I have let it charge for a few days, and when I unplug it the plug is hot, and I have to wait approx. 30 minutes before it will run. I probably need to plug it in and see if it shuts off after a period of time.

Quote:
If the charger has finished ---as in charged overnight and you try to use it the next day ---then all is OK. Do I have this right?
This is incorrect. I just plugged it in for about 30 min. Unplugged it and the cart had no problems running.

I did notice the dang connection at the charger was bent and not seating properly. So I jimmied with it to make it seat, and after 30 min. the plug was not hot. Looks like this connection is definitely broken, and a weak point. Kids probably tore out of here with it connected, stepped on it near the charger, something, and it broke the lock ring nut.

Do you think this could be causing my issues?
Old 07-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I'm not a golf cart mechanic so take anything I say now with caution.

The cart seems to think there is an electronic "stop order" of some kind that clears itself after awhile. The most common one is the charge receptacle that senses when the charger is plugged in and disables the cart until it is unplugged. In my experience the charge receptacle and charge cord should not get hot when the cart is charging. So may be an issue where the heat is causing a malfunction in the charge receptacle that makes it think the charger is plugged in until it cools off. If it were me I would investigate the charge cord issue further and probably replace it to eliminate that possibility especially if the cart is charged in the garage or similar.
Another possibility is the controller has an upper limit of incoming voltage that it will accept. Adjustable in some controllers like Alltrax for example because they are multi voltage capable. This is the direction Kgsc was going but that's not likely in your case as we have now determined the cart is pretty much stock and hasn't been altered. You have an unusual problem for sure. I say make sure all is right with the charge cord.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I say make sure all is right with the charge cord.
I will continue here. I am charging right now for about 1.5 hours and will now go out and see if the plug is hot. I am suspecting it may not be, and the cart will run fine when unplugged. Simply because I think the issue is that connection at the charger is broken and the dang plug was sitting cock-eyed, not a really good seated connection. Which would make that cord to the cart resistance higher.

I did re-align the plug connection at the charger before I started the charging an hour ago. So I will report back in a second.

=============
OK, I wen't out and the plug was normal temp (a little warm) as it has been for years when charging.
The charger was putting out like 5 amps.
The charger light was "Charging".
The cart when unplugged ran great. Pack voltage on the dash showed about 54.9V and the cart ran great immediately after being unplugged.

I think the cord and connection at the charger is the problem. I do charge this thing in the garage so I will replace this connection.

Is there a mod I can complete to hard wire this junk connection? I am an electrical engineer so all of this makes since to me, soldering is not a problem to me, so I will probably open this thing up and hard wire it and install a Myers Hub with a CGB. And never have this problem again.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The gen 4 connection was a bad design. I am pretty sure I saw where DPI would replace it for free with a new style. I hard wired mine after it broke the second time.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #19
Kortoga
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
The gen 4 connection was a bad design. I am pretty sure I saw where DPI would replace it for free with a new style. I hard wired mine after it broke the second time.
How did you hard wire? Took the cover off, what did you see in there for the connection to the board?
Screws, soldered, terminals
I can deal with any of these easily. And will hardwire this thing. Simply because I am all about ruggedness the first time for a lifetime of "don't have to worry about that again, ever".
Thank you for the help...
Old 07-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #20
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kortoga View Post
I do charge this thing in the garage so I will replace this connection.
Be careful about charging in an enclosed garage. Battery charging puts off gases that can creep into your home. My wife and I were awaken one night by the carbon monoxide detector going off. I was charging in an enclosed garage. Never again.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO