lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
jdrier05
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1982 Club Car 36v HELP

I am new to the forum but hope I can get some information!

I have a 1982 club car ds electric (36v). when i purchased it I knew it would need new batteries but it was working/driving but was just slow on hills.

I have since put in new batteries and it was working even better but recently I completely lost all forward/reverse. Reverse alarm still goes off etc. With this I did a little research and replaced the speed control (wires into the solenoids)
and all 5 solenoids. I also replaced the forward/reverse contacts and the knob that holds them in.

With all this, I still have no go.

Any ideas or things I could try? My fleet mechanic here at work seems to think it may be a bad motor but I'd like to make sure before spending that $$$

Thanks for any help!!
jdrier05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1982 Club Car 36v HELP

here is how to test motor....make sure you have rear wheels off the ground....
Attached Images
File Type: png motortestseries.png (122.0 KB, 0 views)
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

A cart that old, I would check/clean/or replace all connections/cables to make sure that they are all 100% (or close). I have a 36v EZGo TXT and was about to start replacing controller or motor and decided to look everything over 1 more time. It ended up being one of the connections on the controller wasn't torqued down good. I've also had cables that looked good until I peeled back some of the heatshrink to see lots of corrosion. This process costs nothing but time,
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Does the solenoids click as you press the pedals? The first one is the master solenoid. It has to click and work before anything will work.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
jdrier05
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I plan to do the motor test via the diagram today hopefully. On the solenoids, if I do not get the click what could be the problem of them not getting power? Especially if they are all brand new solenoids? I have heard that solenoids can be bad out of the box. Does the micro switch above my f/r switch have something to do with it?
jdrier05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrier05 View Post
I plan to do the motor test via the diagram today hopefully. On the solenoids, if I do not get the click what could be the problem of them not getting power? Especially if they are all brand new solenoids? I have heard that solenoids can be bad out of the box. Does the micro switch above my f/r switch have something to do with it?
Yes, that micro switch, key switch, micro switches in the red pedal box. I can't remember the exact order the power runs. This ain't the best diagram, but maybe it will help some.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Please note the key switch and that micro switch are negative, even if the wire going to the key is red. (And I think most of them are.)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
here is how to test motor....make sure you have rear wheels off the ground....
Is this safe to do on a motor that's not mounted to a cart? I've got an old 36v series motor I'm looking to drop in a 48v series DS, but I don't know if it works.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The motor uses the axle's input shafts to hold that end of the armature in place. So no you can't test run a "loose" Motor like that.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car