lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
parks531
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 TXT hard start

2004 TXT 295 Robins engine, have to hold choke out for 60+ seconds before it will attempt to fire. Doesn't matter if its hot or cold outside. Valves are set at .005 cold, fresh NGK plugs, newer and clean air filter. Any other suggestions? Or is this thing just cold blooded? Thank you for your help!
parks531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 TXT hard start

Clean the carb...pull both jets and emulsion tube, use a strand from a stranded copper wire to clean all the holes in the emulsion tube.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
parks531
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, forgot to mention it has a brand new OEM EZGO expensive carburetor on it which was replaced less than 6 months ago by a reputable shop due to a misfire from the after market junk one on it. It has been a hard start even from day 1 with this brand new carb. I'm open to cleaning it like mentioned but I forgot in my post it does have a 6 mo old OEM carburetor and has done the cold start regardless of which carburetor was on the cart
Old 03-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

If this ezgo is a 2004 it should have the MCI engine in it. They cranked much better than the pre mci engines. Ezgo did get that part right.

I normally don't even had to choke one for more than a few seconds and if I do choke more I usually gas foul the plugs.

The 295 MCI carbs have a 13mm venturi instead of the 15 mm in the pre mic which improved things.

If your carb is indeed the OEM and you look inside it you will see a 13 stamped on body of the carburetor with choke open.

I put a new OEM carburetor on a 2006 MCI 295 a few years ago and I couldn't get it to crank after sitting. I discovered the new one had the choke plate binding and wouldn't open but a little. I just never looked after I put it on. Make sure you check that yours is actually choking all the way when you pull cable.

Have you checked the compression on this engine ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:15 PM   #5
parks531
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, it is stamped with a 5 on the throttle plate. It was an ezgo field service kit carburetor part #603913 it came with shield, rivets, spacer, etc. Compression is 140 and 165. Intake valves are adjusted to .005 but much harder to get set than the exhaust valves
Old 02-15-2023, 10:11 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks531 View Post
Thanks, it is stamped with a 5 on the throttle plate. It was an ezgo field service kit carburetor part #603913 it came with shield, rivets, spacer, etc. Compression is 140 and 165. Intake valves are adjusted to .005 but much harder to get set than the exhaust valves
Well, I was wondering what happened to you
Did you hold the throttle wide open manually when you checked the compression ?
If so then this engine is on the low side ( 140 ) . Plus you shouldn't have that much of a difference in those two cylinders . A good running engine will have 170 pounds of compression on both cylinders. Test again making sure you hold the throttle wide open and report back.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #7
parks531
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delay, camping season took over and I dealt with it. Anyhow re-did the compression test and 1 bank has 165 compression and 165 with other bank spark plug in. Other bank has 180 and 185 with the other bank spark plug in
Old 02-17-2023, 10:27 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, camping season took over and I dealt with it. Anyhow re-did the compression test and 1 bank has 165 compression and 165 with other bank spark plug in. Other bank has 180 and 185 with the other bank spark plug in
Your compression looks ok. Its hard to fix a problem like this over the internet so all I can do is make suggestions from what you post.

Ezgo says in manual to always test the compression leaving one spark plug in. I also mentioned to manually hold the carburetor wide open when testing and you never answered me. I assume you did it that way because your reading were different than before.

Is your battery fully charged ?

Maybe you need to connect a spark tester to this engine and see if its actually firing when it won't crank.

I always recommend the OTC 6589 spark tester . It looks like a spark plug and will tell you 100 % what your fire looks like.
Never test just using the plug wire against the block or you could burn up the ignitor. No way to tell unless you test and see if you have fire all the time.

I know you started another topic on this and asked about the jet. Yours should be an 80 or 82 jet.

When these engines are working correct you should just push the pedal and they crank right up . When its above 60 degrees they should start without using the choke. If you pull the choke they will gas foul the spark plugs.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:48 PM   #9
parks531
Not Yet Wild

Good evening, yes carburetor was held wide open while doing compression test.

I have the OTC tester coming tomorrow and will get back with you with the results.

As far a carburetor I just took it off and will have my brother in law help me clean it as he has done them many times with vehicles and motorcycles. I do have a question and will upload my picture of 2 spacers between airbox and carburetor. Are these spacers supposed to be there?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230225_002607707.jpg (118.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:08 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Good evening, yes carburetor was held wide open while doing compression test.

I have the OTC tester coming tomorrow and will get back with you with the results.

As far a carburetor I just took it off and will have my brother in law help me clean it as he has done them many times with vehicles and motorcycles. I do have a question and will upload my picture of 2 spacers between airbox and carburetor. Are these spacers supposed to be there?

Thank you!
Does yours have the round air box ? which is the one I think you have. If so then yes they press in the adapter , number 22 in this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Round air box ezgo.jpg (88.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO