lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2023, 06:08 AM   #11
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Motor Brake Symptoms & Temporary Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracetrimble View Post
Something is definitely wrong with most/all RXVs.
Tracetrimble, the RXV is a absolutely great cart! Compared with a standard golfcart, it seems to be more complicated, as it is fully computerized and needs some understanding how it works. In many cases, the problem isn't the RXV, it's the driver. What you describe, a brake eating cart, isn't normal. I'm still using the first oem brake ( mfg. date 2008 ) w/o any issues. Stumping on the brake pedal while driving is not a good idea. It puts a lot of stress on the tiny em brake, produce a lot of brake dust and can cause problems. The pressure plate inside the em brake has to move freely. The em brake is designed to work in standstill only ( except the emergency function ).
All things written above are based on my own( 6 yrs. ) experience
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2023, 08:25 AM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

RXV is by far the most popular cart here in Rio Verde. Our club has a whole fleet of them. I don't know anyone here that has replaced a brake that failed. Solenoids - yes. I don't own one - I have two Yamaha's but I have worked on a few and they are decent. AC motors don't suffer brush failures and can wind out to very high RPM's.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:17 AM   #13
tracetrimble
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Tracetrimble, the RXV is a absolutely great cart! Compared with a standard golfcart, it seems to be more complicated, as it is fully computerized and needs some understanding how it works. In many cases, the problem isn't the RXV, it's the driver. What you describe, a brake eating cart, isn't normal. I'm still using the first oem brake ( mfg. date 2008 ) w/o any issues. Stumping on the brake pedal while driving is not a good idea. It puts a lot of stress on the tiny em brake, produce a lot of brake dust and can cause problems. The pressure plate inside the em brake has to move freely. The em brake is designed to work in standstill only ( except the emergency function ).
All things written above are based on my own( 6 yrs. ) experience
I know this and NEVER stomp the brake while it's moving, only after it stops. I've found that cycling the switch in the brake pedal resets the motor brake somehow, and gets it to stop dragging.

Every shop I've talked to or taken it has said motor brake problems are common on RXVs, and one place won't even work on them because of brake gremlins.

I've owned this cart since 2015 and love it. I just want to fix this problem, and keep it forever. LOL
tracetrimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Maybe the switch on the brake pedal is bad. I think it triggers the mechanical brake if you push the brake pedal too far. Just a guess.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:29 AM   #15
tracetrimble
Not Yet Wild

It's new. I replaced the switches and sensors in both pedals (with OEM parts) last time the brake failed, trying to fix this problem.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:10 AM   #16
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What you can do, when experience problems with the brake, take it apart for inspection/cleaning. I had just two of them apart last weekend ( used em brakes, which i got on my last US trip in november ). One had a small amount of brake dust only, the other one more dust and some rust from water coming inside. Both brakes are now ready to use. Further important, to clean the 3 mounting bolts thorough. Dust/rust on the bolts can prevent the pressure plate to move freely and the result is a dragging brake. Also important, to follow the instructions for correct installation of the brake ( to be found within the RXV Troubleshooting Guide ). There is a special procedure, to aligne the brake.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #17
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ojo summed it up pretty well, the brakes are reliable and can last years. Many of the RXV's I maintain have the original brake with the release handle. Never use a cheap China brake, only use OEM. It sounds like the brake is binding on the three mounting bolts. Cycling the brake by the pedal switch is probably freeing it enough to move and release. Pull the bolts and make sure they are smooth. I take them to the wire wheel and clean them that way. Take a small and I mean small amount of anti-seize and wipe on the bolt shoulders. Use new lock washers and only tighten enough to flatten the lock washers. Make sure the brake is released when tightening. Place cart in tow mode with the key in neutral to release it.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:20 AM   #18
OttyFields
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure you are toggling the tow/run switch back in forth before you tighten the brake bolts to torque. I hardly ever use the actual brake peddle to stop, most all of mine is from regen.
I would start looking for wire chafing from pedal to controller and motor. I took my cart totally apart during a body change and put all wires in split loom to protect it from shorting out.

I travel a lot with my cart usually 30 to 40 mile round trips at about 20 to 25 mph constant only doing 30mph+ when needed and don't see continuing problems with brake. I do carry a spare on the cart with a 10mm wrench in case it fails. Me and wifie got stranded with both dogs on cart so she mandated it for future use....lol
OttyFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 09:46 AM   #19
tracetrimble
Not Yet Wild

Cart is fixed! I found mouse-chewed wires leading to the 1-2-3-4 plugs under the tow switch cover.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:16 AM   #20
OttyFields
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracetrimble View Post
Cart is fixed! I found mouse-chewed wires leading to the 1-2-3-4 plugs under the tow switch cover.
Good find. Hope this will fix your problem.
OttyFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO