lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2023, 06:21 PM   #1
KevinRB
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default 88 Marathon Clutch removal

I am going to replace the crank seals in my 88 Marathon 2pg but I cannot get the clutch off. I inserted a 5/8 rod and then ran 3/4 bolt in with an impact and nothing moved. I think I may have mushroomed the rod because I can't get it out now. I may be too late asking for help but would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks
KevinRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 88 Marathon Clutch removal

If it’s mushroomed you may be screwed. I always use a grade 8 or 10.9 for the push rod for this reason…

At this point you’ve got 2 options. Neither of which is fun… go for broke and keep trying to press it off. Or cut the clutch off with a whizzy wheel. Either way you’re gonna have a fun time trying to drill and tap the crankshaft to clean the threads back up. Luckily it is hardened steel so it’s pretty tough but it’s gonna be a chore
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:06 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Put some pressure on the bolt, then give it a good smack with a mini sledge for the shock. Hit it right on the end of the bolt.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:19 PM   #4
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Best wishes
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:07 AM   #5
KevinRB
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks to all. I was away for a while and wanted to update. I tried what cart around said but it just wouldn't budge so I added a twist to what he said. I put another 5/8 rod in that stuck out about a half inch. I then put a wheel puller on and snugged it up. I then gave it a medium hit and tighten it some more and repeated that about 6 or 7 times and it finialy came off. Luckily once off the first 5/8 rod came out the back side. No damage to threads or crankshaft. Thanks again for help getting me through this.
KevinRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO