lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
KaiserG13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Arrow PDS Turn Signal & Brake Light Install

I have a 2004 EZ-GO PDS and recently installed the freedom light kit and now I just finished the turn signals and andy's brake light switch. The only problem is that the brake lights stay on when the hill brake is engaged. I searched the forum for a solution and saw some post about it but no solution. I figured I would bring it back up to see if anyone has any input. I know I can run the power wire off the key switch but I would rather not do that. Someone mentioned having a relay in the line to turn the brake lights off after 15 or 20 seconds, but where could I get something like that and what is it called? The third possible solution is to install another switch that cuts the lights off when the hill brake is engaged. I am really looking for an automatic solution so I will not have to turn a switch off or anything and I think the best solution is the time relay, but need some help figuring out how to do it.
KaiserG13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
KaiserG13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Arrow Re: PDS Turn Signal & Brake Light Install

Here are some pictures of the turn signal installation. I have a 8 wire turn signal with the horn button on the end. I first took off the cup holders so I can hide the wires and flasher down there. The cup holders have 3 tabs that you have to press very hard to get them to pop out. Then you have the get the 3 tabs on the front to come loose and its off. I then installed the flasher base and wired the turn signal wires and power and load. 5 of the wires from the turn signal go under the cup holders and the other 3( 2 for horn and 1 for brake light switch) I ran through the horn button opening to the horn wires and brake light switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1503.jpg (60.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1518.jpg (73.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1506.jpg (67.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1513.jpg (66.4 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1510.jpg (60.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
KaiserG13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Arrow Re: PDS Turn Signal & Brake Light Install

Here are some more pictures and the wiring diagram I made up.

Wires from Harness_____________ Wires from Turn Signal
Red (Left Front Turn)------------------Green (Left Front Turn)
Green (Right Front Turn)---------------Red (Right Front Turn)
White (Left Rear Turn)-----------------Grey (Left Rear Turn)
Yellow (Right Rear Turn)----------------Black (Right Rear Turn)
Brown (?)

Horn Wires
Yellow---------------------------------White #1
Orange w/ White-----------------------White #2

Flasher Wires
Red (12V Power)-----X on Flasher
__________________L on Flasher-------Yellow (Load)

Brake Light Switch
Red (Rear Brake Lights)--Brake Switch---Grey w/ Black (Brake Light Power)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TurnSignalWiring2.jpg (23.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1522.jpg (78.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1524.jpg (69.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1519.jpg (85.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1520.jpg (68.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
david6821
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: PDS Turn Signal & Brake Light Install

Any luck on finding that relay?
david6821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
KaiserG13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No, not yet. I keep the cart at the beach and haven't been down there in a few weeks so haven't been on the hunt for it lately. I am going to try to find something before I go back down to fix it. If you find one let me know because I definitely need a fix. You and me can't be the only ones with this problem... Hopefully someone can help us out. Have you already wired up the brake lights and everything?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

I have a pretty cool fix for this. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll get some pics and instructions posted......
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
david6821
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioniccartsandcustoms View Post
I have a pretty cool fix for this. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll get some pics and instructions posted......

Cool please keep me posted.
Everyone tells me to buy a 30 second timer relay, but I can't find it anywhere.
david6821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
gaston
Gone Wild

Nice tutorial here Kaiserg13.

Sorry bionic, I was taking pictures of this solution we do but post yours too please, one never know how to improve things!!

The inexpensive solution for the hill brake and brake lights off when you engage park is to use a couple of little easy to find micro switches 15A. We use 1 for turning on the brake lights ON, adjusted to when you slightly put your foot on the pedal, and a secondary one that once you engage park, cuts the signal OFF. Find a way to locate the microswitch where engage bar is, check the pictures below of what we do:

Picture 1 is the the park brake bar assembly, it is out of the brake system.
Picture 2 is the engage bar with the microswitch, you conect wires to the NC and COM terminals
Picture 3 the micro is closed (with the help of my son) and power is off.

You need to use countersink screws to avoid them to touch the brake bar. Preferably stainless steel ones with little nuts.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

No worries Gaston. I learned a long time ago there can be more than one right answer. And I like your fix too!
Ok, I like this one because it completely isolates the accessories. I use a 36v charger relay on 36v carts and a 48v charger relay on 48v carts. It wires up like this....relay 003.jpg

Red wire on bottom right is a pos. 36v from the switch side of key switch.
Black wire on bottom left is the main neg. 36v from battery pack.
Green wire on top left is 12v from battery pack
White wire on top right is 12v out to light kit

Turn key switch on, it sends 36v to red wire on relay.
Since black wire is a constant 36v negative or ground, the relay will click and close.
This allows 12v power to enter in from the green wire.
Out through the White wire to the light kit.

So what does this mean???? If you forget to cut off the lights, you turn off the keyswitch and the lights go off. Brake lights included.
If the brake light cancel switch fails....which happens alot on CC's....this will still isolate the accessories and save the batteries.

I like it because when the key is off, its all off. I use it with deluxe light kits and radios and 25 amp reducers. They hold up pretty well. I will double-up the relays if there are a bunch of bells and whistles.
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
gaston
Gone Wild

Cool I have something like that also attached to our system, in fact we use a relay like the pictured for keeping a DC converter on-off, plus another little relay to use the same key switch for light system.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake light switch, factory wiring, stop lights, turn signal with horn, wiring diagram
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO