lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
tirestr
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo slow forward ????

HAVE A 2005 EZGO 36V. Have seen a few post with the problem I am having but there seems to have been no solution posted. Batteries have full charge with 38-39 volts, cart will run great at first until you let off of the pedal and solenoid kicks out, then it runs very slow. You can put cart in reverse for a few yards and go back to forward with normal speed until you stop and solenoid kicks out then it is slow again. Diagnostic code shows a 3-2 "welded solenoid" replaced solenoid along with "Curtis controller", and still the same problem. It is strange that you can put in reverse then its fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tirestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo slow forward ????

Wait for johnnieB.
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a bad connection (excessive resistance) between the battery pack's main positive terminal and J1 Pin-4 or Pin-5.

Break out your DVM and measure the voltage at J1 Pins 4 & 5 when Run/Tow is in RUN, the key is ON and F is selected on the F/R. They ought to be IDENTICAL with the pack voltage. (In fact, everything highlighted in Red, should have full pack voltage on it.)

Most likely suspects are the Reed switch, or the in-line connector from the Reed switch and there is a connection inside the wiring harness that splits the wire from the solenoid's battery side large terminal to the beeper and J1 Pin-5.

FWIW: A PDS controller controls the solenoid, so it know when it opens and compares the voltage at the controller's B+ terminal with either J1 Pin-4 or Pin-5 (I don't know which one). If the voltage on the B+ terminal doesn't drop below what is on those pins, the computer in the controller assumes the solenoid's contacts did not open (welded closed). However, with the 250 Ohm resistor installed across the solenoid's large terminals, the voltage on the controller's B+ terminal only drops by a few volts and if the voltage on the Pins happens to be lower than that, the welded contacts error flag is set and the controller goes into a reduced performance mode. Switching the F/R to Neutral, resets the flag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
tirestr
Not Yet Wild

When i replaced the solenoid I noticed that the resistor installed across the terminals looked almost like it was cut, so I spliced it back together. The previous owner had installed an hour meter and some kind of battery saver which I removed, so I thought they had cut it for some odd reason. I think I will try and install a new resistor. Thanks for the help
tirestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO