lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
tsafey
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Gauge Wiring

I bought a LED battery gauge and was wondering if I could use the existing orange battery meter wiring, or at least the ground? I know the power has to come from the switch. I know people are going to suggest fresh wiring or a using a volt meter but I hate to run anything unnecessarily. There is already enough wiring behind the dash as it is.
tsafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Gauge Wiring

That wiring is from the obc. I don't think it would work.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Battery Gauge Wiring

There are several types of gauges...a two wire 36v or 48v gauge has to be wired directly to the battery pack...the main positive and the main negative...this type of gauge will be on all the time but has a very low draw. The other type has three wire connection...the Positve and negative still must go to the main battery pack but the third wire goes to the switch...blue wire I believe and will turn the gauge on and off with the key. Hope this helps.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

did you get a LED bar type or one that has digital numbers , digital number are better . Any way the negative needs to go the main neg of the pack , the positive can go to the hot side of the key switch . The gauge will go on and off with the key.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Find the main B-from the pack at the 12 pin connector from the battery bucket and connect it to the neg side of the meter. (it is either black or black/white but measure don't guess) Pickup up the Switched 48v+ at the key switch and connect it to the pos + side of the meter.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
tsafey
Getting Wild

Club Car

It is an LED bar style. I will attempt to locate the ground in the 12-pin but if I can't locate it I will run directly to the - of the pack. I just didn't want to run any unnecessary wiring if there was something in the existing wiring I could use. Also, I just removed the existing orange battery meter and placed my toggle light switch in the hole. With the LED meter I figured that one was worthless anyways. Thanks everyone for the input it was very helpful.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
tsafey
Getting Wild

Club Car

Update,
I hooked the ground to the - on the last battery in the pack. Positive to the hot on the switch. When I turned the key the LED lit up starting in the green and quickly cycled down though all the bars to red and turned off. I think I read something about them needed several minutes to indicate the proper charge level. Hopes that the case.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

You know that doesn't sound right. Put your DVM on those meter terminals and measure what you got. You should have your pack voltage.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Sounds like you drained a capacitor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
mike_dmt
Gone Wild

I have the same issue with my current meter. Only difference is mine is not switched, just wired for constant "on".

It hasn't worked from day one. SO, ordered in an LED meter with the actual number readout. Works perfect.
mike_dmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car