lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
Dingleberry
Getting Wild

Club Car

Question Here's what the dealer told me (want your opinions)

I just want you all's opinion on this please.

So I have the darn 12v Precedent and it's time for new batteries (last new in 2009). I was considering doing the 8v conversion so I was pricing 8v batteries at the local Trojan dealer. The dealer fellow was really nice and he told me if I didn't use the cart for more than 30 miles a day that I would be just as well staying with the 12 volts.

I just use the cart to scoot around our waterfront community, not for golf. A long day might be 10-15 miles. Do you think I should stick with the 12v's or go ahead with the conversion. How about longevity 8 versus 12? I have the 2005 Precedent, so I would have to do the battery tray mod if I convert. It would be nice to just drop in the new 12v's and go.
Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Here's what the dealer told me (want your opinions)

Guess it depends on how long you plan to keep the cart, really. The 8v (if cared for) will last quite a few more years (30% more is not out of the question) than 12v typically would. More than 30 miles is a...uhmmm...HUGE exaggeration - I would have suggested 6-8 miles daily would not stress the 12v batteries much and would give them a relatively good service life. If you really approach 15 miles regularly - 12v are not for you! Just my opinion, though.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Gee how much better do you need if they lasted since 2009...that's your answer right there.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Both of these guys make great points. If it's been working for you, stay with the 12 volt setup. Just know that if you ever need more range or desire longer battery life you'll need to convert.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just FYI my 8v needed replacing in year twelve (but I took great care of them).
Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
minytrker
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just went through this with my 06. In the end I went back with 12v. My 12v lasted almost 6 years. I havent tested the range on my new batteries but I went 24-25 miles round trip to my parents and back on my old batteries going WOT the whole way more than once.
The place I buy my batteries sell (6) 8v or (4) 12v for the same price and they recommended just leaving the 12v since I wasn't having any range issues before.
minytrker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #7
Black Widow
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The old saying goes...... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Black Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

are you doing the work yourself ? if not then that adds to the cost , if not then stay with 4-12's . now if your doing it yourself and like to do this stuff , then this is something I would consider doing . More run time and better battery life are things you have to gain
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Dingleberry
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks everyone. It seems like the opinion is leaning towards keeping the 12's.

Josam, I don't know how much experience you have, but I am concerned when you say they overestimated my mileage on the 12v's and I might only get 6-8 miles, but then minytrker said he got 25 miles on his OLD 12v's? I'm even more confused.

I would like the longer life-span of the 8v, but I think 12 years would be the exception to the rule, that's great josam!

Tahoe, your experience is always appreciated. Naturally this is a big expense for most of us and I don't want to find out after dropping $800 that I need more range. What do you think is realistic daily range and total battery life-span on good, well maintained Trojan 12v's?
Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

You misunderstood - the 12's will easily do 20 mi. plus - BUT, it takes a toll on them (they get discharged quite a bit further than a pack of 8's would doing the same thing) and therefore it cuts into their life span.

Even though they are deep cycle - they "wear out" quicker when you take them too deep - I guess I didn't make that point properly.

EDIT: I have a friend running 12's on a Precedent that are 7 years old (he takes good care) but he only runs them for 1 round of golf between charges. They are just now slowing at the end of a round. Our golf course had a fleet of 12's on lease when Precedents were first introduced (hard use - 2-3 rounds per day). 75% of them had to be replaced by CC before the 4 year lease was up.

Tags
12v, batteries, dealer, precedent
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car