lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
70cambgblk
Not Yet Wild

Default Loss of Power

I have a 1983 EzGo resistor 36 volt cart. I have recently installed all new batteries and new 4 guage wiring. After installing the new batteries and wires, the speed contacts were arcing with the wiper arm. I replaced the contacts and the arcing stopped but now on a full charge, the cart seems to not have full power. The pack reads 38.7 volts on the full charge but the power is not there. I also installed a new solenoid but this has not changed the loss of power. Any suggestions would be great. If there are any readings I could take that would help, please let me know.
70cambgblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loss of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cambgblk View Post
I have a 1983 EzGo resistor 36 volt cart. I have recently installed all new batteries and new 4 guage wiring. After installing the new batteries and wires, the speed contacts were arcing with the wiper arm. I replaced the contacts and the arcing stopped but now on a full charge, the cart seems to not have full power. The pack reads 38.7 volts on the full charge but the power is not there. I also installed a new solenoid but this has not changed the loss of power. Any suggestions would be great. If there are any readings I could take that would help, please let me know.
I don't know much about resistor carts, but is it possible the speed contacts are still messed up? They start off using all of the resistors in series with the motor, to limit total power, then progressively remove resistors until the pedal's to the floor, where resistors are no longer connected and the motor is getting full pack power. I'd start with the contacts, since you were having problems there. Maybe visually check that the wiper firmly connects with each contact, including the full power one. Also check wires, as when one thing overheats, it may do collateral damage. Do this with the keyswitch off.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loss of Power

Let's start by measuring how much voltage is actually getting to the motor at the various throttle settings.

Attached is the best schematic of a resistor cart's throttle switch and resistor coils I have found.

Use alagator clips or similar method of attaching handheld DVM Positive test lead to Pin-4 on Throttle switch (or A1 on motor) and Negative test lead to most mnegative terminal on battery pack (or F2 on motor - might be labeled S2).

Hang DVM so you can read it or have passenger hold/read it.

I'm not sure what the voltage readings will be in the first three throttle positions, but each one will get higher until you reach position 4, which ought to read the fully battery pack voltage.

If not, something isn't wired right, or there are bad contacts or wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Schematic.JPG (87.4 KB, 3 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO