lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 TXT motor stays on

Drill some holes in the bottom of the peddle box and try to avoid the water.... there is no seal
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
53jimc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Drill some holes in the bottom of the peddle box and try to avoid the water.... there is no seal
Thanks, I'll do that.

Lol, I find it curious that they would put such an elaborate rubber cover on the top of the box, but not try to keep anything out of the pedal hole.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
I opened the throttle box under the floor mat and there was water in it and a lot of corrosion on the micro switch. The push on connector broke off when I tried to remove it from the switch. The micro switch is definitely bad and staying in the NC position, thus engaging the solenoid any time the F/R switch is in "gear".
The micro is NO, and is supposed to be a fail safe. If you're getting solenoid action any time the FNR is in gear, the NO has failed in a NC state. You stated that the "push on connector broke". Do you mean the wire is no longer connected? Does it still go when in gear, even with the wire disconnected?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My '98 with ITS was driven back and forth across a bridge that had water over the floor. I opened it up the next morning, and only found a few drops of water in it. The cable has a "liquid tight" connector, but it's not designed to be water proof. If mine ever got water in it, I'm guessing it would have a hard time getting out.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
The micro is NO, and is supposed to be a fail safe. If you're getting solenoid action any time the FNR is in gear, the NO has failed in a NC state. You stated that the "push on connector broke". Do you mean the wire is no longer connected? Does it still go when in gear, even with the wire disconnected?
It is a bit counterintuitive, but the microswitch contacts used in the pedal box and on the F/R are actually NC. Normally Closed means the contacts are closed unless a physical force is applied. In this case, applied to the activation lever on the microswitch. The lever on the MS-3 is being pushed on by the ITS plunger when the pedal is up and the only times the outside circumference of the F/R cam isn't pushing the lever on MS-2 is when it is rotated to either the F or the R position.

Unfortunately, EZGO chose to show their microswitchs activated (Physical force applied to lever) on their schematics without notes explaining or symbols showing that fact. However the schematic is drawn correctly, showing the NC contacts open when the Cart is in an inactive state. (That sounds like double-speak, but it really isn't. )

Having a microswitch's NC contacts not open when the lever is pushed is an unusual failure, but soaking them in water is one way of making that happen.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My bad. So if I understand you, the switch is NC, but the system is NO.

I'm still interested to know if he meant one of the wires is disconnected, and is still exhibiting the problem.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
1............ So if I understand you, the switch is NC, but the system is NO.

2. I'm still interested to know if he meant one of the wires is disconnected, and is still exhibiting the problem.
1. It's confusing, but when the cart isn't in the "run" condition, the levers on the microswitches are pushed. Thereby, opening the NC contacts.
Check out the position of the ITS plunger relative to microswitch lever when pedal is up and where the hills and valleys are on the circumference of the F/R cam when in F & N & R positions.

When the pedal is pushed, the ITS plunger no longer holds the lever in place and the little bitty internal spring inside the microswitch is allowed to close the NC contacts.
Same happens when F/R cam is rotated to F or R position.

So, activating the solenoid actually depends on a couple small pieces of arched beryllium copper. (Conductive springs)

This is done so the mostly likely failure mode disables the cart rather than turning it into a runaway, like what happen too the OP.

2. Yeah, that does seem a bit strange, either the key or F/R should have shut it down. Maybe there is more than one switch problem, or some creative wiring.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
53jimc
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thank you all for your insights. I have an update for you.
The cart sat for a while since my wife and I are refurbishing a 1954 model house so there's tons of work to do there.
I finally got a chance to work on the cart yesterday. Here's the result.
1. The terminals on the throttle coil were really corroded. One of them was so bad that when I touched the wire it broke off. So, I removed the coil, dug down some of the epoxy, cleaned the contact and soldered a piece of wire to it so I could put another connector on it.
2. I replaced the micro switch. The cart now runs fine. It does not try to move unless you press the accelerator. You can hear the solenoid activate when the micro switch is activated.
3. I must have other wiring issues since the cart works with the key switch off. (it worked fine when I got it).
4. So now, if the key switch is off, the solenoid activates when I press the accelerator. If I turn the key switch to the "run" position, the solenoid activates, even if I am not pressing the accelerator.
5. Next stop: pull the key switch, check the wiring against the diagram.
Again, thanks everyone.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO