lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
deerhunter88
Getting Wild

Default Almost there!!!! Last minute advice.

Cables arrived today (thanks evdrives)so i was finally able to hook them up and plug up the charger. I didnt not hook up plug the positive and ground on the controller motor yet. My HD switch cam for the F/R should be in tomorrow (thanks scotty b) Im so ready to see what this cart can do tomorrow its sickening.
The new batteries only took about 5 minutes to switch the DPI charger to just the green light. Does this sound right? Also the charger is showing 0 amperes, is that right? If this is right should i take it off the charger for the night or will it be ok to leave on untill the morning or tomorrow evening when i hook the rest?

It should be like night and day. when i got the cart it was an old tired 36v with factory motor and factory controller. Now its sporting 48v, D&D 10.5hp motor, 500 amp axe controller and brown top solenoid. All wires have been updated to 2 gauge.

Im a rookie here so sorry for my rookie questions, just really anxious. Pics to come soon.
deerhunter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Almost there!!!! Last minute advice.

What do you have for a pack voltage?
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

That does not sound right for the charging time. I've never had a new battery pack that didn't at least charge for a couple of hours. You do have a 48 volt charger don't you?
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
deerhunter88
Getting Wild

Yes, charger is brand new DPI 48v. I dont have a meter to read voltage. I should prlly invest in one now.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter88 View Post
e. I should prlly invest in one now.
It is a must! Talk to johnnieb about the charge. Isn't that the one he really likes? But first you will need a DVM!
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

When you first plugged the charger in did the ammeter go up or stay on zero?
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes, charger is brand new DPI 48v. I dont have a meter to read voltage. I should prlly invest in one now.
YUP

Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
deerhunter88
Getting Wild

Ha i knew i would get shoved in that direction. Yes the needle moved on the ammeter but not much. The charger went through the cycles as it should. Yellow and green stayed on constant a few minutes then it just switched to green showing charged with the power light on.
I guess i will leave it on untill the morning unless the experts tell me otherwise.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. The new batteries only took about 5 minutes to switch the DPI charger to just the green light. Does this sound right?
2. Also the charger is showing 0 amperes, is that right?
3. If this is right should i take it off the charger for the night or will it be ok to leave on untill the morning or tomorrow evening when i hook the rest?
1. If this was the initial charge of a new set of batteries, it doesn't sound right.
If it was a set of batteries that had already been fully charged, it still sounds a little quick.
What the charger is looking for is a voltage in the 60 to 64 voltage range to advance from the charging mode to the float charge mode.

2. When the green light comes on, the charger is in a float charge mode and once the surface charge depletes down to about 59V, it provides the current needed to maintain that voltage. It is a constant voltage source, so no current will flow until the voltage is down to the float point and then only the current needed to maintain that voltage will flow, so it will only be equal to what the self discharge rate of the battery pack is, plus any parasitic drain on the pack. Within a couple hours after green light comes on, it would be zero and may be so low it would deflect needle on ammeter after that. Mine sits about a RCH off the zero peg.

3. Basically, if you are not driving your cart, the DPI charger ought to be connected.
Use some common sense of course; If you are only making short trips, there is no need to charge between them, just put it on charge that night.

You definitely gotta get a DVM. Sears has one on sale for about $11.00
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
deerhunter88
Getting Wild

Its the first time i ever put them on charge. Everything seemed to be hooked up right but i could be wrong. I wired all the batteries the same way the 6vs were originally hooked up. Neg to pos and so on. Could it be because i dont have the cables coming from the controller hooked up? I wouldnt think that would matter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO