lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
deerhunter88
Getting Wild

Default Wirering lights

I have 3 LED lights i want to control from 1 toggle switch. How do I do it?
I have a 12v deep cycle battery for the accessories, the toggle switch is a 12v 20amp illuminated switch. It has terminals for ground, positive, and acc. Two of the lights are running lights. should draw around 2 amps, and the other is just a small red LED that will be mounted on the back bumper.
The LED light that i will be using on the back is a marker style light, it only has one wire.
My guess is run neg and positive from battery to pos and ground on switch and then have positive and neg from 2 headlights lights run to acc and ground on the switch? put the one wire coming from taillight too acc on switch?
deerhunter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default Re: Wirering lights

Your marker style light should have a ground wire inside. It is probably attached to a metal piece on the base that gets grounded when you mount the light on a trailer or other grounded piece of equipment. But since your cart frame isn't grounded, you will have to open the light up and attach a ground wire directly to the ground lead coming off the light.

Your switch has a ground terminal because it is illuminated. And thus, the light inside the switch needs a ground to operate. You are correct on the wiring. Run the main 12v positive and negative to the switch positive and negative. Then the headlights and rear running marker light to the acc and ground on the switch. Make sure there is an inline fuse on the 12v positive wire as close to the battery as possible.
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You don't want to connect negative to ground (frame), so be sure and insulate the light when you install it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
deerhunter88
Getting Wild

How do i make sure that marker light is insulated?
deerhunter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it's attached to plastic, no problem. If it's bolted to the buggy frame, you need to measure it with a DVM to make sure the negative isn't grounded.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I can't figure out how to get my illuminated switch to " be illuminated ".... I got them to work the lights they are to work ... But don't understand how to illuminate the switch ... Ground needed ? How do I do that ? Just a wire to the frame ?
Damaged1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

How do I do that ? Just a wire to the frame ?
No, run a wire back to the negative at your accessory battery.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Acc battery ? I am running off of the original system which is taking power from two of my six ( 6 volt ) batteries and heck I've tried to figure out this harness but still a little confused ....
Damaged1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It goes to the negative side of your 12 volt supply.
That little ground post on the switch is only needed for the tiny light in the switch.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If your lights have 1-wire,they are self-grounding,2-wires are a wired-ground(these are prefered).Most aftermarket marker-lites are sealed,so you can't take them apart to rewire them.The terminals on the switch are: Battery+(which should be fused before it enters the switch), Accessory Output, and Ground(battery).If you buy some rubber nut-serts,also called Well-Nuts(threaded rubber pieces that go thru metal,I use them for installing roof-mounted lites),you can drill holes in the body(if its' metal,and you need the lites insulated),install the well-nuts,then hook the ground-wire to the back-sideof the well-nut where the screw is exposed,and then run that to the battery.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO