lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: can you identify this unknown 12v set of leads?

If I don't see any need for them, do you recomment I leave them unhooked? or should I hook back up to 12v source? I've left off for a few weeks and haven't had any problems.

when I bought the cart used. The Only non drive stuff on it are the headlight/taillights and a state of charge meter. and both worked when I disconected that mystery set of wires.
d-angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

There is no telling. I have seen like three different harnesses come from EZ-Go. I think the heavy Red and Black wires like Johnnieb said are to be used IF you have the 48vt to 12vt converter. If you don't, it hooks up differently. If everything is working on yours including the headlights/taillights/brakelights, leave them unhooked.

My Opinion
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I unhooked them because I don't want anything drawing additional power from a single battery. I figured it would prematurely kill that battery... if those leads were hooked up to a battery, they wouldn't be the 12 leads like out of a reducer would they? I bought and installed a 48v/12v reducer to pull evenly from the whole pack. so I'm running my stuff off of the reducer I installed.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Is it the factory reducer that plugged into this harness ?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought an aftermarket and wire in all seperate. Mine isn't integrated with anything EZGP. I got one that has an ignition wire. So now if I turn the key off, the lights will turn off along with other stuff. So my kid can't go out there and flip the light switch. Plus I put on under cart LED lights and a cigarette lighter in the dash as well...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well, I am thoroughly confused now... Now, another option.. It could be that whomever installed the original accessory harness installed incorrectly when it comes to wire connections. If I remember correctly, My harness had a heavy red and black wire and green smaller one with a boot. The two heavy wires went to the 48 volts on the main pack that then the green wire with the boot was connected at the drivers + side post of the back battery. I do not have the converter so in my setup, the green wire is the 12vt + and the heavy black is the 12vt -.

My harness came down the middle of the cart and split in front of the batteries. The side with the fuses attached to the front of the controller cover, had the heavy red and black and continued to the back for the pass side tail light. The other side had the green wire connection, a molex type plug for the converter and the harness that went to the drivers side taillight...

Now with that being said. If your is working, I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK, me thinks me figured it out.. I'm starting to think mine may have had the small black/white stripe wire as well just didn't use it.

Here is my thought. You may the same harness I do and it was originally hooked up incorrectly. That harness is designed for the converter so you need a set of 48 vt lugs and a set of 12 vt lugs. Heavy rea and black go to 48 and then to the molex plug to power the converter. On the other side of the converter is connections for the 12vt, in this case 12vt + green, 12vt - black with white stripe.. Just believe it happens that the two black wires are common. So if this is correct, your two heavy wires are not needed.

I will look at mine tonight but I think my two heavy wires and my green wire are connected and the black/white is taped off.

My brain hurts now
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
d-angelo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll test them with a volt meter to see if they show anything. when I bought the cart, they were hooked up as shown. So they shouldn't have any power through them once disconnected. I guess I'll ultimately leave it as is anyway. I have my own dc/dc reducer that works and all systems work as they are suppose to in the cart. If I ever get it to a factory service technition for anything, I'll have to be sure and ask them. Since the heavy black wires go into the factory harness and then off into mystery, I would think a factory tech would be able to identify them from the volume of carts they look at.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Mine was hooked up based on instructions from a factory tech so I am pretty sure it is right. If you are going to try to chase some of these there should be a pretty good sized molex plug on that harness that is not used.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK, too many gas fumes for me. Looked at my current RXV and it only has a heavy red and black wire to connect to a 12 volt source. My LAST RXV had the four wire harness and I swear it was connected like I described. I have heard EZ-Go makes a basic and deluxe harness for the electric RXVs with the deluxe being setup for the converter. Yours is the deluxe and mine is the basic. Now what makes me think a little for future reference, Could you use the harness for the gas cart if all you were worried about was having a 12 volt hook up... I think all the rest of the connections are the same.

I will ask next time I go over there..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO